Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which Tokoyo Inn? 2009/1/10 15:14
Hello,

Me and my wife will be traveling in Tokyo from March 28 to April 1, and we are trying to book a tokoyo inn for our 4 night stay. I heard that the Shinagawa-eki Takanawa-guchi location is quite central, but they are sold out on the dates we wanted to stay. Out of the available hotels, I am wondering if any of you can help me decide another good location? I would like:
1. Non-smoking (allergy to cigarettes)
2. Central location by train (it's our first time traveling in Japan so would like a location that can get to tourist attractions easily)
3. Not too remote/quiet (so we can find places to shop/eat easily)

Currently, these locations are available:
Asakusa Senzoku
Tozai-Sen Nishi-kasai

Monzen-nakacho Eitaibashi
Nihon-bashi Ningyo-cho
Nihon-bashi Hamacho
Nihon-bashi Bakuro-yokoyama A1
Nihon-bashi Kobuna-cho
Nihon-bashi Hamacho Koen
Akabane Iwabuchi Ekimae

Minami-Shinagawa Aomono-yokocho-eki

Kamata No.1
Kamata No.2
Kamata Higashi-guchi
Haneda Otorii Honkan
Haneda Otorii Shinkan

Some of them are shown as "Double" instead of "Smoke-free double" (I guess the hotel don't have smoke-free rooms?) How likely would it be that we can end up with a smoke-free room?

Thanks a lot!!!
by adrian (guest)  

. 2009/1/11 16:03
Pretty much if you were to look on a map of Tokyo, none of those places would be central.

I know someone else might recommend another Toyoko Inn (I'm fed up with some of their practices), but if you're looking for a nice business hotel in Central Tokyo, the Kodoya Hotel in Shinjuku. Shinjuku is pretty much the major Tokyo railhub, and there is not a lack of food or shopping to do in the area.

http://www.kadoya-hotel.co.jp/eng/index.html

Plus their Tempur pillows are much better then the rock pillows at Toyoko Inn (literally!)
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/12 08:29
Currently, the Otsuka 2 location has several non-smoking double rooms available for the dates you are looking for:

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00139/index.html

Great location on the Yamanote line, laid back neigborhood, but plenty of shops, etc.

As for the pillows, I liked them so much that I tracked down the supply company and bought one. Sleep on it every night.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Otsuka #2 2009/1/12 11:59
I've stayed at a bunch of Toyoko Inns in Tokyo, and Otsuka #2 is my favorite. (Otsuka #1 has an equally great location but doesn't serve Japanese breakfast.)

By the way, if you're a Starbucks addict, you'll be happy to know there's one across the street from Otsuka station.

About nonsmoking rooms: If it doesn't explicitly say nonsmoking in the online reservation page, it's a smoking room.
by Onibaba (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/1/12 15:59
Thanks for all the help! I think I'll try the Toyoko inn on this trip (limited budget) and I am making the reservation right now for the recommended hotel. Thanks again!!!
by adrian (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/13 05:36
Onibaba: Although Otsuka #1 is a great location, the hotel itself is one of the earliest Toyoko Inns and has a very strange construction. It is more like a high-rise motel, with acces to the rooms being from open to the elements walkways. For that reason, I would not recommend the #1 location for more than a night or two.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread