Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Rail Pass - 14 or 21 day pass? 2009/1/12 03:11
Can anyone advise if it's best to purchase the 14 day or 21 day JR rail pass given the below itinerary?

Day 1 - Tokyo (3 days)
Day 4 - Kyoto (4 days)
Day 8 - Osaka (3 days - side trips to Nara, Kobe, Himeji, Hiroshima, Miyajima)
Day 11 - Takayama (2 days - side trip to Shirakawa go)
Day 13 - Oku-hida (2 days)
Day 15 - Tokyo (6 days)

I wasn't sure whether the JR pass would be useful while in Tokyo itself? From my research, I believe it can't be use in the metro (that this requires a different pass to travel within Tokyo?)

I am flying in and out of Narita.

Thanks for your help!
by redflagger  

... 2009/1/12 08:45
I recommend to use a 14-day pass and use regular tickets (or a NEX&Suica package) for the first few days in Tokyo. It comes cheaper than a 21-day pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

JR pass in Tokyo 2009/1/13 09:50
would we ever need our JR rail pass within Tokyo or areas around Tokyo?
by redflagger rate this post as useful

You can, but it's not the only way... 2009/1/15 08:03
Youwill find there aree many subways as wel as the JR city loop line, the Yamanote line. you should consider if you are doing many sidetrips from Tokyo, for example, are you going to Nikko or Kamakura, Yokohama perhaps? go to hyperdia to figure out the costs, and if you find it's heading toward the cost of a 21 day pass, you may prefer to get that for sheer convenience.
by R. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread