Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going to Yokohama from Hokkaido 2009/1/12 05:27
Dear Uji

This was the itinerary I sent earlier for your comments. You said it was good:

Hakodate (Onuma Park) - stay 1 night
Noboribetsu/Lake Toya - stay 1 night
Sapporo (Chikyu Cape/Otaru Canal,TV Tower/City Hall, Ramen Alley, JR Sapporo underground shopping, Susukino, etc. - stay 3 nights (Is this too long a stay?)
Furano/Biei - stay 1 night
Daisetsuzan National Park/ Sounkyo - stay 1 night
Fly back to Narita.

However, the above itinerary is based on my collecting the rental car from Hakodate and returning it at Asahikawa. What if I decide instead to use Sapporo as my base (i.e.enter and exit through New Chitose Airport), drive south to Hakodate, back to Sapporo, and head to Furano/Biei/Daisetsuzan and back to Sapporo. If I do so, can I return by a different route (hopefully without toll charges) so that I can view different scenic places along the way? Please advise.

Grateful thanks - Jade Lee
by Jade Lee (guest)  

... 2009/1/12 08:51
What if I decide instead to use Sapporo as my base (i.e.enter and exit through New Chitose Airport), drive south to Hakodate, back to Sapporo, and head to Furano/Biei/Daisetsuzan and back to Sapporo.

Obviously, you would be driving about twice the distance. This means that you will spend considerably more time behind the steering wheel (especially when not using expressways) and that the gasoline costs will double.

For your information, the drop off fee for a car from Hakodate to Asahikawa in case of Toyota Rentacar is 7350 yen. This is probably more than the increase in gasoline cost.

If I do so, can I return by a different route (hopefully without toll charges) so that I can view different scenic places along the way?

Yes, it is possible, altough it will likely result in a detour. Here are good road maps for Hokkaido:
http://northern-road.jp/navi/eng/index.htm
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread