Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Responsibility for house repairs? 2009/1/12 09:01
I rent a house on a small housing estate/complex of modern, Western-style houses.

I've been here a while, and the interior walls are now beginning to look dull and off-white, and there are gaps between wallpaper edges due to house movement.

My question: Is the landlord/rental company generally responsible for interior upgrading such as new wallpaper, or is this on a case be case basis according to the contract? If the landlord's responsibility, can anyone advise me what's the best way to approach the company to get the job done?
by Nula (guest)  

... 2009/1/12 10:07
I don't have any experiences with rented houses, but with rented "apartments," normally the landlords do things like wallpapers and housecleaning, ONLY BETWEEN tenancies, meaning, when you vacate, they do the wallpaper and things to prepare for the next tenant. In my past experience, the only "repair" that the landlord paid for was kitchen sink faucet lever coming off due to past bad repair (in any case, functional stuff, not decorative).

Then there is the rule that the tenant is to return the property at the end of your agreement in the "original condition" minus the normal wear and tear, so it would not be wise to do the interior upgrading by yourself without contacting the landlord/rental company.

Check with the rental company what the agreement says, and maybe show them the house to convince them that an interior upgrading is needed for you to continue living comfortably, and see what they can arrange for you...
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread