Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Experienced Teacher, No degree 2009/1/12 22:03
Hello everyone. I know this has been touched on a few times before but I still am unsure of a few things. I am planning on moving to Japan next year to finally get my University degree. For the last 2 years I have been teaching English in Taiwan and am very confident with my ability. I understand from other forums that a person with a student visa but no degree can teach PART TIME in Japan. Can someone confirm this? Also does anyone know the maximum number of hours I can teach in a week if on a student visa? My last question is this: salaries and wages. In Taiwan I have been making about 23 USD an hour. Is that about what I can expect in Japan (specifically Tokyo)? Thank you so much everyone. This information will make my move MUCH easier.
by TaiwanTom  

With permission 2009/1/13 09:48
With a student visa you can apply to Immigration for permission to work part time, and the lack of degree doesn't affect this, although some employers may not consider you without a degree. I believe it is a maximum of 20 hours a week. Pay is likely to be similar to what you were getting in Taiwan.

Make sure you have received permission to work from Immigration before you start applying for jobs as the student visa itself does not permit paid employment.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

pay 2009/1/13 11:34
pay will be around the same per lesson in tokyo. it might be more if you teach in some backcountry town depending on the conditions there (i.e. do you have any competition)

there is a 20 hour a week limit on work hours but i think there are a lot of people who skirt around that issue
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Good to know 2009/1/13 16:31
Thanks guys for the info about how long I can work. Sira, you said that I have to apply with immigration for this ability to teach. Is there a possibility that they will deny me? And if I do more hours than I'm allowed, as Winterwolf said many people do, am I at risk for being deported? Finally, the school that I really want to go to is in Tachikawa. Anyone know the cost of living for that area? Pretty much would I be able to cover rent, utilities, and food with 20 hours a week? Thank you so much for everyone's willingness to help.
by TaiwanTom rate this post as useful

reply to this thread