Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need tips for finding entry-level job 2009/1/13 09:49
Hi, I'm planning to go to Japan to find a Job, but since i don't have any work experience in a company yet, i think i will have to start from entry-level jobs.
I have just completed undergraduate degree in Japanese, but i don't know for sure if that alone will help to find me a job.
Should i take graduate degree in other major first to acquire other specific skill such as computer, business, etc? Anybody have an idea what kind of skill would be better for finding entry-level job in japan?
Other option such as teaching english is impossible for me.
Somebody here have experience something like this? Or do you have tips or suggestions for finding a entry-level job in japan for nonnative english speaker?
by Andri (guest)  

experience needed 2009/1/13 11:23
Jobs for non-Japanese speakers other than teaching are mostly in the finance and IT fields, with the offices of foreign companies in Tokyo. Note that there are very few entry level jobs- it is better to have at least a year of experience in that field before coming. A graduate degree may increase your chances but it is the work experience that is most important.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

japanese 2009/1/13 11:32
since you posted that you have an undergraduate degree in japanese i would assume you can speak japanese?

if so then you should have no problem. if your degree was in japanese you ought to be fluent in the language, you can easily get a basic job at just about any japanese company.

consider yourself to be basically the same as a young japanese worker entering the work force. start submitting resumes and doing interviews and exams like regular japanese people do and you'll probably find a job fairly soon.

even though you are not a native speaker of english you do seem to speak english well enough to be of great benefit if you put it on your resume.

good luck!
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Not quite that easy 2009/1/13 12:03
I think to say that a foreigner with an undergraduate degree in Japanese can easily get a basic job with just about any Japanese company is stretching it a bit.

For one thing, a degree obtained overseas certainly doesn't guarantee spoken or even written fluency, and even if the person is quite fluent, the company then has to be willing to sponsor the person. Obviously many companies won't even consider going to that trouble when they can hire a Japanese to do the same job without the paperwork, or what they see as the "hassles" of hiring a non-Japanese (concerns about cultural differences etc.)

Unless there is a good reason to hire a non-Japanese (knowledge of other cultures, language ability), realistically most companies won't do so.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

My experience 2009/1/13 12:41
I did in Japan for eight months what you are currently planning to do and left about six weeks ago. Just to lay down what my circumstances were: had just turned 24 years old, bachelor's degree in sociology from a good, famous university in America, Japanese national (no work visa issues), fluent in written and spoken Japanese, conducted my entire job search in Tokyo. I also had worked in accounting for two years before coming to Japan (graduated from university early), finished an accounting program at my local college, and studying to become a certified public accountant. Came to Japan looking for a entry-level position as a new graduate as I still fit in the description for companies looking to hire in April. (They're usually looking for people who will be 25 years old or younger when they start working in April).

Here is my advice to you in three words: DON'T DO IT. First of all, most Japanese companies will not hire you. They look for long-term employees and people who they won't have to worry about training and losing in a few years. That's just the perception of being a foreigner, there's a larger risk that you'll pack up and return to your country. Secondly, as Sira started to mention, majoring in Japanese means nothing to HR. You probably haven't got a grasp of the Japanese business culture, you haven't had to deal with Japanese people fulltime in your life, and the last thing any Japanese company wants to do is piss off their customers because of miscommunication. Third, most non-native Japanese speakers are hired as experienced workers rather than entry-level. As I said earlier, entry-level slots are pretty much reserved for Japanese folks who will work at the company for a long, long time. Experienced workers are brought in more for immediate needs and to plug in holes within a department. Unfortunately, you're not an experienced worker right now so you don't fall into that description either. Lastly, English-Japanese bilingual people are a dime a dozen. If you want to stand out from that crowd, you've got to have additional certification/skills/experience to stand out and have a chance of being hired. If English isn't even your native language, you've going to have even more problems!

If you want to work in Japan, work in your own country for a few years and then re-apply as an experienced worker. Then, you'll have a good chance of locking down a job. Right now, to be completely honest, you've got an ice cube's chance in hell of finding an entry-level job in Japan.
by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

Well.. 2009/1/14 09:33
Thanks for the quick responses.
Besides Japanese, i speak Mandarin, Malay, and English. And have good skill in web programming, HTML,PHP, CSS,MySQL and skill in graphic design software.
But in my country, for me to work as translator or magazine editor is easier to find. IT companies usually want a BSc in Computer Science or other computing major than me with my BA in Japanese.
Anyway, thanks for the help guys.
by Andri (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread