Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamigamo/Shimogamo shrine? 2009/1/14 09:58
Hi,

Just wondering if it easy to find the golden pavillion from the nearby station by walking or is it really confusing? I know it takes approx 30-40mins to walk there.

Also, we want to visit the Kamigamo and Shimogamo shrines on the same day as the golden pavillion because we are in that sort of area...

...we will be walking from Kitayama Station on the Karusuma Subway line to Kamigamo Shrine (15 mins) , but I was wondering if it was possible to then walk from this shrine to the other, and how long it would take?

Or would it be better to catch a bus from Kamigamo to Shimogamo shrine? (Is there one?) Help!

Thank you all!
by Dan (guest)  

... 2009/1/14 11:13
Just wondering if it easy to find the golden pavillion from the nearby station by walking or is it really confusing?

It is just a few steps from the nearest bus stop. From the closest subway station (Kitaoji Station), it is a 30-45 minute walk. Easy to navigate, especially if you bring a map. Just walk westernwards.

...we will be walking from Kitayama Station on the Karusuma Subway line to Kamigamo Shrine (15 mins)

It is more likely to take around 25-35 minutes.

but I was wondering if it was possible to then walk from this shrine to the other, and how long it would take?

Certainly! It is about a 40-50 minute walk, mostly along a pleasant walking path along the river.

Or would it be better to catch a bus from Kamigamo to Shimogamo shrine? (Is there one?)

Depends on your preference. There is a bus between the two shrines, as explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3941.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Walking 2009/1/14 21:52
If the weather is good and you are not in a rush, walking from Kamigamo-jinja to Shimogamo-jinja is very worth while. Although the path along the Kamo river is a pleasant stroll, it can get a little boring. Walk along the many side/back streets as the main streets seem too modern and busy. The back streets are very quiet and peaceful. Most times I have taken more than a hour walking inbetween the two shrines since I have stopped often to take photos and enjoy this area of Kyoto. So if you have the time, walk slowly and take a look around.
by HNL Hawaiian (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread