Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

Being the U.S. Army living in Japan 2009/1/14 12:19
I'm going to join the U.S. Army Reserves and go to college with the ROTC program and eventually move or get stationed in Japan. The thing I wanna know is what kind of treatment I should expect from people in Japan I'm or was a member of the U.S. military and maybe being stationed in a base in Japan.
by John  

. 2009/1/14 14:51
Put it another way.

If a Japanese SDF solider moved to your town, how would you expect him to act and how would you expect your neighbors to act towards him?
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmmn 2009/1/14 15:01
I've read that some American military personnel have committed a bunch of crimes over the years, one I remember reading about was the rape of a little girl. Not too sure about the details though. I also read some where that the Japanese aren't exactly fond of the American bases all over Japan, and some people would like them gone.

So, you might get some negative responses, but that could happen any where.
by Aaron (guest) rate this post as useful

Don't worry about it 2009/1/15 00:12
For the most part, US servicemembers are treated very well. Unless you plan on making trouble while there (which won't go over to well with your commanding officer, btw), I wouldn't worry about. Just respect the Japanese, try to learn a little Japanese (you'd be surprised how much that opens the local Japanese up), and just be nice.

As far as the stuff you hear in the news, that's usually just a small contingent of locals who complain about every aspect of the US military and are usually spurred on by the local communist party.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Don't worry... 2009/1/15 00:40
As long as you behave, you are unlikely to run into any trouble, however... Remember that a few years in the military may change you. You may not be a rowdy person at the moment, but military training is harsh and some people try to release their pent up frustrations with their CO etc by brawling at bars. This is generally accepted in most nations, but not in Japan.

In general, there are three different kind of protests that may target you in Japan, but you are unlikely to run into either.

1) Protests against US forces in particular, usually arranged by JCP but attendees may be normal people just upset with US foreign policy as well. Mostly, however, they are upset with the way the LDP caves in to every little demand of the USA.

2) Okinawa. If you're stationed on Okinawa, be aware that due to a number of high profile rape cases and generally unpleasant behaviour by the Marines, resistance to US forces is much stronger here. You'll have to work to gain friends among the community here, however I don't think they'll be chilly once they learn how you are as a person.

3) General anti-military sentiments: The Japanese are very pacifist and view military actions as an exercise in stupidity. However, these protests target the JSDF as much as the US forces. It has nothing to do with that you're American, but rather that you're a soldier.

Generally, you won't have any problem making friends, but people who don't know you may be a little chilly as you're both a dangerous foreigner and a soldier. If you live off-base, try to help out your community once in a while. There are usually cleaning efforts some weekends you can join, and I'm sure there are many festivals to partake in as well. This will help you if you intend to stay in Japan for a while, and it will also let you experience Japanese culture in a different way.
by Hokan rate this post as useful

Don't worry about it (Part II) 2009/1/15 00:59
My son just left Okinawa after a 3-year tour and never had a problem with protests or negative reactions other than the one time the equipment he was towing (while on duty with all the required military safety precautions being adhered to) was hit by a local. The local Japanese police questioned him and that was the extent of any negativity (if you could call it that). Otherwise, he really enjoyed the time in Japan and wants to go back.

Also, I visited him and his wife twice and we never experienced any negativity other than an indifference similar to that experienced in New York City.

Don't worry about it!!

Being a local 2009/1/15 10:01
First of all, I'm no expert, but I keep reading that there is no guarantee that you'd be stationed to a country you prefer yourself to be in. Secondly, as long as you're in the military, you always have the risk to go to war or to drag your wife and kids around with you wherever you move to.

That said, being a local resident and Japanese, I notice that locals are quite cool about military men as indivisuals even though many are against the whole system. Even hard-core anti-Marine Okinawan protesters are adult enough to enjoy barbeque parties whenever they are invited to the base. I personally know several people who take language lessons from military personnels or their families. Many are married to soldiers or former soldiers. And race doesn't matter, by the way.

However, since 911, the U.S. bases itself have shut their gates against the local community. There are less festivals open to the public, and I feel that it's getting difficult to merge with the base residents in a friendly manner.

Also, as mentioned, the sexual crime committed by U.S. military men over the years leaves a very bad impression, not only in Okinawa but in any military base town in Japan. The fact that similar crimes keep on happening especially between U.S. military men and the locals makes the locals think that there is something wrong with the being of U.S. bases. Or maybe the locals just don't know how to handle it. Whatever it is, it's not working. In particular, military personnels can take advantage of their position as they, unlike other foreign residents, live here according to the U.S. law instead of the local law. For that reason, in the recent years, the contents of the treatee has been slightly changed.

Anyway, I don't really think it's that "As far as the stuff you hear in the news, that's usually just a small contingent of locals who complain about every aspect of the US military and are usually spurred on by the local communist party." as someone suggested. I think it's just that locals tend to think that friendship and politics are different.

Wherever you are, whoever you are, remember you represent the society you come from. If you're an American soldier and happen to get involved in a fight over too many beers, bartenders will put out a board on their door saying, "No American soldiers allowed." If you're a gentleman, they'll think you are a good man as an indivisual.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Don't worry about it (Part III) 2009/1/15 11:05
There are less festivals open to the public, and I feel that it's getting difficult to merge with the base residents in a friendly manner.

The squadron my son was in (Civil Engineering) had local Japanese comprising a little less than half of the little squad he worked in. He worked with these men on a daily basis and developed a very good relation with many of them. Yes, this may be the exception rather than the rule, but of the many thousands of Americans in Japan, I would say that the vast majority of them get along well with the local Japanese.

Also, as mentioned, the sexual crime committed by U.S. military men over the years leaves a very bad impression, not only in Okinawa but in any military base town in Japan. The fact that similar crimes keep on happening especially between U.S. military men and the locals makes the locals think that there is something wrong with the being of U.S. bases.

You have to remember that these military men and women are not permanently station in Japan and usually have only 2 or 3 year tours. They also represent a cross-section of the United States and guess what? There are a few bad apples. So, please do not judge the US military based on the occasional story you read in the papers or watch on TV. I'm sure most if not all of the US military don't base their opinion of the Japanese on the handful of protesters outside their gates. That would be rather myopic, wouldn't it?

So, don't worry about it and enjoy the country, if and when you get there.

Paul 2009/1/15 12:49
I was only trying to answer the original question by discribing what the general local community tend to think. Not my personal opinion.

But since you mentioned, _because_ "these military men and women are not permanently station in Japan and usually have only 2 or 3 year tours" they would be leaving as soon as they are educated the local rules, and then you'd have to educate a big new generation of military men and women all over again. That is what a lot of the locals are concerned about (again, not my personal opinion).

And again, that doesn't mean that there is no friendship, nor does it mean that the majority of the people from the base aren't good people (I hope you read about the friendship/marriage examples). But rather than saying something myopic like "I have no concern about the protesters, but I want to be friends with you." it's a lot better to say, "I am aware of the protesting, so I know I need to be responsible and friendly while in my host country."

I mean, everybody is scared of George Washington, although some people think it's necessary and although everybody thinks it's a handsome ship.

just my opinion 2009/1/15 13:52
I was reading the original post,and i have to say that toward most of japanese people (i live here from 7 years now) U.S military are not really welcome,and i could say this is the same in Germany(ramstein) and Italy (aviano) as well,it is not to quit the story with a simple,"they are comunist"
it is becouse what often the u.s soldier did to the local people in these countries.
but i am sure if you act politely and try to respect their ancient culture you will have good time.
best wishes
by European_man (guest) rate this post as useful

How do you know you will be in Japan? 2009/1/15 15:56
How do you know you will be stationed in Japan? Don't believe the recruiting officer, they're not your friend, they're there to get people to sign up. The military will station you where they want you and your opinion won't matter in that regard. You go where they need you. So, if you are joining up thinking you are going to Japan, you might want to think a little longer and harder about your decision. I'm not saying that military service is not right for you, I'm just saying don't expect to be stationed in Japan.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

military in Japan 2009/1/15 17:18
If anybody can point me to statistics that show serious crimes committed by Japanese vs. serious crimes committed by military, it would be useful. There is no excuse for anybody to rape or murder anybody else. I don't know the percentage of violent crimes perpetrated by U.S. Military compared to those committed by Japanese, but honestly, Japanese people commit murder and rape as well. Every day it seems there is a news story about a Japanese person who has dismembered their mother or kidnapped a child or killed a nightclub hostess. Knifing people in Akihabara!
You know why they don't make such a fuss about it? because for a politician, having a military base in your population is a cash cow. Any mayor or prefectural governor plays up the 'burden' of having a military base because they then get special consideration and MONEY from the national government. So every time there's a problem, everybody calls for the U.S. Military to leave, and the people who live near the bases get their local funds plussed up because they are 'burdened' by the U.S. military's presence.
It's not an excuse for bad behavior by the U.S. but it is one of the reasons for the vehement reactions and press coverage.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/15 17:29
The problem is not the point that members of the military do fewer crimes compared to Japanese people (obviously Japanese commit more crime). I think it is the principle behind what makes people mad sometimes. US forces are there essentially to defend Japan and US interests, and after many bad high profile cases in the past, and continued briefings that the military would work harder to prevent such incidents, but they pop up from time to time, causes local citizens to think to become angry.

Now, if I had to look it from the Japanese point of view, I can understand how some feel sometimes, I mean, If the Queen of England decided to put a military base in my backyard, and even though most of them were honest people, if a few caused a ruckuss, I can understand if my fellow neighbors would be a bit irked about it.

But generally the anger is not targeted at actual service people, but rather the whole concept of having bases in certain places.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

omoiyari yosan 2009/1/15 17:58
John the respondent is right.

Additional to that, the local tax payers are concerned about the huge "Omoiyari yosan (Host Nation Support)" which is the budget that the Japanese government uses to pay for the energy bills and big housing inside the U.S. bases, while the neighboring locals (expats included) live in tiny apartments.

And again, John is right when he says that "generally the anger is not targeted at actual service people, but rather the whole concept of having bases in certain places." And this anger is usually physically targeted to Japanese polititians, since it's not much use talking to the U.S. military personnels directly. So the sericemen themselves don't have to worry so much about getting hurt.

Thank you everyone 2009/1/17 17:35
Thank you everyone for your response. Going by what everyone said, I don't think I will have a problem at all. When I go to Japan I intend on being a good representative of the U.S. and the Army. Though I know my chances are about none while I'm in the army reserves, but after college, I will go active duty and do my best to get staioned in Japan. Again thank you everyone for your response. Though I would like to find out life on a Army base in Japan, and what kind of stuff that they do and have cause I wanna be a mechanic for the military and I wanna see if by choosing a specific job as a mechanic may improve my chances of being stationed in Japan. Any thoughts?
(also as a note I haven't signed up with the Army yet but soon.)
by John rate this post as useful

Zama 2009/1/17 20:08
John F., you seem to be quite specific on what you want to do. Note that among the 10 major U.S. military bases in Japan, only the one in Zama is that of the U.S. Army. Others belong to the Navy, Air Force or Marines. I'm sorry I have no knowledge on mechanics.

http://www.usarj.army.mil/

. 2009/1/19 00:32
You're going to college through the ROTC program and then plan on having a career in the Army as a mechanic? You do know that officers perform management type jobs, right? They're not going to train you as a mechanic if you're an officer.

You can enlist now without any college to become a mechanic. Just something to think about before signing those papers.
by Hesus (guest) rate this post as useful

Not quite true 2009/1/19 09:20
Camp Zama is not the only Army facility in Japan. Torii Station is an Army facility north of Kadena in Yomitan Village on Okinawa. Also, there are several Army units manning the Patriot missile units around Kadena AB.

Mr. Crittenden,
The last poster is correct. Why would you want to be a mechanic (enlisted) when ROTC (which means Reserve Officer Training Corp, keyword: Officer) would make you an officer? Just curious.

... 2009/1/19 09:26
You might also want to read this and other information on Camp Zama: http://www.usarj.army.mil/militaryslots.aspx

If your goal is to go to Japan, you may want to consider the Air Force, Navy, or Marines instead (although a large contingent of Marines will be going to Guam in the near future (maybe).

My son (Air Force) put Japan at the top of his wish list and his first overseas tour was in Okinawa. He is now in Guam, but hopes to go back to Japan later. He has a better chance of doing that in the Air Force than anyone in the Army. Just a head up.

ROTC 2009/1/28 11:09
To answer Paul's question, I wanna do the ROTC program to move up in rank faster and become a Second Leiutenant. I may be of higher rank hem most or not but it will give better pay. Also I will be able to choose what position I want as an officer. Though I am still deciding on what actions I should take, I'm even considering going active duty and taking college courses on military bases (if I get shipped out that is). Again thank you all for your responses.
by John rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

reply to this thread