Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about Hikkoshi agency 2009/1/14 15:41
Hello! I am planing to move from Nagoya to Tokyo in the middle of March and wondering is there any cheap way to send all the stuff from one city to another (some small furniture, electrical appliances, books, clothes etc.). I surfed internet and found diverse hikkoshi agencies without any prices mentioned. As far as I got you need to call them and invite home first to check all the things out and only afterworlds they are able to give an approximate cost estimates. Assume it would cost a fortune! Any other ways out?

by Valeriya (guest)  

Moving 2009/1/14 17:03
Valeriya,

All the major removal companies are pretty competitive, so they shouldn't cost a fortune. If they don't have guideline prices on their websites, it
doesn't cost anything to get quotations from them, and doesn't commit you to choosing them. Plus, many (most?) of them give you various goodies just for getting a quotation.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

More details? 2009/1/14 17:18
ar Dave,

Thank you very much for your answer! But in case if you now any particular hikkoshi agency name or home page I would greatly appreciate if you can share it with me. I am really in a great doubts as there are LOTS of them....

Valeriya
by Valeriya (guest) rate this post as useful

Give them a call! 2009/1/14 17:29
As Dave said, just give some moving companies a call and ask for a quote. You're certainly not tying yourself to any contract or obligation whatsoever. I moved last month within Kawasaki city (one station apart) with appliances, clothes, etc. and it cost me a shade under 50,000 yen through Art Hikkoshi (the 0123 guys). However, I also realize that such information is completely useless to you because of the difference in distance, and I haven't a clue what exactly you're moving (it makes a huge difference).

Just trying to point out that you won't get any concrete details here because of the various differences. All I know is that most moving companies really are about the same price so just calling one of them in will make your search a whole lot easier.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

50,000 2009/1/21 16:07
ive moved a few times in japan. ive used different companies but its always very similar pricing: 50,000 if u pack everything in boxes urself and have everything ready to to just put in the trucks. not a simple task in itself. i dont remember the prices of having them do it for u, but i would expect it to double.

i had moved from the same prefecture to another city, quite far away. also moved from different prefectures (about 2-3 hours away). was the same price. hope this helps.
by KuzuRanger (guest) rate this post as useful

what u should do 2009/1/21 16:11
and what i should have done, is check if there are any 'Uhaul'-like companies. i mean, in america we can rent a truck for 20-50$ and do everything urself. thats a savings of about 480$...

ive also seen ads in papers, with a couple of foreign guys who help move with their own truck (dont know the size) for around 20,000. i would check out for things like that too, search all the classifieds.

Thank you! 2009/1/21 16:32
Dear Kuzu,

Thank you very much for you attention! In fact I have found a moving company which provides you
with 21 boxes of diverse sizes and you are doing all the packing stuff yourself. The delivery cost from Nagoya to Tokyo for this set of boxes is 25,000 yen. Has anyone tried to use this service ("Pakmail")?

They do give the sizes of the provided boxes but it`s hard to estimate how many things in reality I`ll be able to put inside...

Valeriya
by Valeriya (guest) rate this post as useful

sounds good 2009/1/21 16:43
25,000 sounds very very reasonable. if that is a legitimate moving company, i think u may have found a good thing.

yah its hard to say how many boxes u need. i dont think i required any additional boxes from when i moved, but u could always get more from them (assuming u pack most of ur stuff a little in advance) so thats not a problem.

just make sure they will move ur big things as well (bed, sofa, full mirror, lamps, tv, tables, etc) like a normal moving company would.

if everything u own will fit in regular size boxes, then i guess ur set.

... 2009/1/21 17:06
I believe that every moving company has some service package similar to the "pak mail" with boxes provided. "Kuroneko Yamato" has "single-person household moving service" for example. Note that if you have pieces of furniture that do not fit into boxes, that will be subject to additional quote. Small, local companies with their own truck often help only with local moves, for example, within the Tokyo 23-ku area, etc.

Still it is difficult to tell how much stuff there is - somehow the moving company "expert" people can look around all the stuff you have in your apartment, and can give you a pretty good quote on "about how many square meters" your stuff is! You can get as many quotes as you want, you are under no obligation even after you've asked for a quote. :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread