Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

cost of living 2009/1/15 09:07
i am going to japan in tokyo for school this coming fall. I was wanted to know what is the cost for utilities
by travis (guest)  

Utilities 2009/1/15 13:28
I live in a 3DK apartment and I pay about 16,000 yen a month for water, gas, and electricity. During the spring/fall when I don't use a/c, I pay about 12,000.
by Chen (guest) rate this post as useful

Are you going to leave in the hostel? 2009/1/15 15:08
When I was a student and lived in the hostel supplied by my university I paid around 2,600 yen for water (each 2 month), from 3,000 to 5,000 yen per month for electricity (it depends on how often you are going to use the air conditioner during hot and humid summer and cold winter) and something around 3,000 yen for gas. Additionally, you`ll have to pay for Internet connection (starting from 3,000 yen per month and up). Maybe it was particularly my university`s case, but they also charged each semester 10,000 yen for bedding laundry service.

Good luck!
by Valeriya (guest) rate this post as useful

expensive... 2009/1/21 16:34
water:3-5,000
gas:3-5,000
elec: depending on time of year and whether u use air conditioner, heated stove, are conscious of saving nrg, etc.
between 5-15,000

hope u have housing all sorted out! tokyo is ranked as forbes magazines 2nd most expensive city to live in the world...

dont forget about the phone bill. if u get a keitai (cell phone) that will easily run u anywhere from 5-10/15,000 depending on ur service and how much u use it.

then theres also things like going out for dinner, going our for entertainment, etc. all these things add up, and are generally very expensive in japan.
example, a regular priced movie at the cinema costs 1,800yen.
by KuzuRanger (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread