Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work visa cancelled when you resign? 2009/1/20 10:58
I'm currently working for a Japanese company, and the visa I got in my passport (with multiple re-entry permission) expires in 2011.

I wonder what happens if I resign from the company earlier. Will my visa get cancelled, or will I be able to stay in Japan until 2011 even without a job?
by Mike1983  

..... 2009/1/20 13:12
My company bought out my contract early and reported me to immigration that I no longer was working. I was told by immigration I had 2 weeks to leave, but I wondered what would have happened if I stayed. My visa said I had 6 months more and I could show that if questioned. I don't see how they would force you to leave, but if you overstay by them cancelling it you might not get back in later.
by Beto (guest) rate this post as useful

You can stay 2009/1/20 14:46
Theoretically, once you have your visa it is yours whether you are working for that company or not. Companies rarely bother reporting to Immigration that they have ended your contract, and I had heard that you technically have about two months to find a job or leave (two weeks seems a bit strict, don't you think?), but practically speaking, they do not usually chase you up.

I quit my job 6 months into a 3 year visa a few years ago and left Japan for 5 months. I came back into Japan on the same visa, no questions asked, and started working for another company. I quit that company two years later and 6 weeks later started working for another company. None of this has ever caused me any issues with Immigration.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Visa 2009/1/20 14:52
I had a similar situation, albeit 15 years ago, so things might have changed since then. Before I resigned my position with a trading firm in Kansai, I checked with the local img office. They informed me that I had 30 days to find another position and/or I could have the img office issue me a 90 day tourist visa. Like I said this was many years ago and even they did not appear to be 100% sure and would not write the details down as proof if I should have problems in the future. Best bet is to check with them directly and ask for written confirmation. Good luck and let us know how it turns out...
by TedinAsia (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/20 14:56
The employer that you quit doe not *normally* report that you have quit, which means Immigration will not normally know that you've left your employer (= visa sponsor). So it's not that your work visa gets cancelled upon you quitting the company.

Some people claim that their visa is theirs to keep once granted (as long as they are in Japan). But normally people find another job before they quit, or try to find a new employer within a relatively short time. So... if you are thinking of leaving the company now (beginning of 2009) and thinking of staying on that visa until 2011 without finding an employer in the same field/similar position, that sounds a bit clumsy.

Also, your status including your employer and type of job is written on your Alien Registration Card, any change to which you officially need to report to the city/ward office. Also, if you've been on the company's health insurance scheme, now that you are no longer with the company you will have to go on the national health insurance scheme.
by AK rate this post as useful

* 2009/1/20 16:44
Thanks for high-quality information, everyone. Very good points about alien registration card and health insurance.

I guess, if one resigns without getting another job shortly, they'd better keep a low profile :-)
by Mike1983 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread