Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trip to Hokkaido 2009/1/21 02:44
Can anyone recommend a tour itinerary for a 8 days trip to Hokkaido
by Mae2499  

... 2009/1/21 08:08
What are your interests? During what season will you visit?

General information:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1101.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Trip to Hokkaido 2009/1/21 14:09
Thanks for your answer. My trip would be around mid April. I love to see nature, museum, shopping, food and overnight at a good ryokan. Plan to use the public transport. Thanks again.
by Mae2499 rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/21 16:56
April is not the best time of the year to visit Hokkaido's national parks, because it is a transformation time between winter and spring. Many winter attractions are ending while spring attractions have not started yet.

Museums, shopping, food and hot springs are good around the year. For museums, shopping and food, Sapporo, Otaru and Hakodate are good destinations, while Noboribetsu and Jozankei are famous resorts for ryokan and hot springs.

So, how about the following schedule:

enter Hokkaido through Hakodate - Noboribetsu (possibly in combination with nearby Lake Toya) - Sapporo (with side trip to Otaru) - leave Hokkaido through Sapporo.

Trip to Hokkaido 2009/1/22 02:30
Thanks again Uji for your recommendation. I will figure out the itenerary based on your suggestion. Which is a better seasion to visit apart from winter.
by Mae2499 rate this post as useful

Hokkaido 2009/1/22 03:11
We spent 4 nights in Hokkaido late April a few years ago. It was nice but a little chilly. Not many tourists there then, you can easily get around and no crowds. Good deals on the hotels too.
We landed at Chitose before lunch and took the train directly to Otaru for our first night. Spent the afternoon shopping, at dinner at a great sushiya and then went to the onsen. It is a small onsen on the hillside, I thought it had the best water of all the onsen we visited.
The next day we looked around Otaru somemore, went to the fish market, had lunch and then went to Sapporo. We spent the afternoon sightseeing, took the cable car to the top of the mountain & then went to Ramen Alley. The next day we rented a car and then went to the Sake Museum, the Sapporo Beer Museum and the Ice Cream factory museum, all worth the visit. We then drove to Noboribetsu. We spent two nights in Noboribetsu, taking a drive to the Ainu Village, one of the volcanoes as well as shopping in Noboribetse and (of course!) enjoying the onsens often as possible. When we left Noboribetsu, we did some sightseeing and shopping for fresh seafood to take back to Okaasan on the way back to Sapporo for the night, then onto Chitose turn in the car & fly back to Osaka.
I loved Hokkaido and definetly want to go back. Dont try to see it all, take your time and enjoy each place you go to.
by CF (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/22 08:09
Which is a better seasion to visit apart from winter.

June to September/October is the best time to visit Hokkaido, in my opinion.

reply to this thread