Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ask for tenkin? 2009/1/21 14:41
I`ve been leaving in Japan for quite a while, but still not familiar with some ''traditions'' regards work.. Can someone help me to clarify the issue about ''tenkin''. Tenkin stands for company transferring you to another office, but I wonder if it is possible to ask to be transferred from your own side? I would like to be relocated to Tokyo, but not sure whether I can ask my boss about it, can someone give me an advice if
faced alike situation?

Thank you for the help in advance!

by Valeriya (guest)  

... 2009/1/22 18:52
In most corporations in Japan, particularly in large companies, it's the company who "instructs" you to work in one office or another, depending on their business needs, and at times depending on what job experiences/job rotation the company thinks you should go through, at timings the company determines. You can't really say no to that, you don't really have any choice. But in smaller companies it may be somewhat different.

You "can" certainly "ask," particularly if you have special circumstances such as your family member living in another city far away, etc. But I would not be surprised if your boss flatly says no, there is no need for anyone to be in that particular office in that location... You would want to be assured that you would not be considered an extra-demanding employee when you make that kind of request; if you have a true friend in your office, ask him/her first about how accepting your company is in terms of those wishes and preferences voiced by employees; each company has its own "climate" and "culture."
by AK rate this post as useful

Enjoy the location, and 2009/1/22 19:23
I agree to above comment. It depends on circumstances of each company. In many company they will inquire your wish, but they seldom comply with it, especially relocation to Tokyo.

I recommend you enjoying the location where you are now.
When you will have fallen in love with the place, they will transfer you to Tokyo.

Many of us had experienced that.
by hokusetsu (guest) rate this post as useful

tactics 2009/1/23 08:31
Valeriya,

If you feel that your direct boss might say no, ask other people such as someone you know in the administration section. Some people might not want to let you go, while others can be sympathetic. Try to get in touch with a colleague who knows about what's the best thing to say to whom.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread