Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taikodenka 2009/1/21 23:35
is there a second meaning behind the word "taikodenka"? i can't read kanji and i've been told this a real old one! i don't think it's offensive, but i suspect about a hidden message behind it: am i wrong? grazie!
by Severo  

oyaji? 2009/1/22 14:29
this might be a Japanese gag...
taiko can mean ancient

is that what you meant?
by rock and water rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/22 19:02
Do you mean "taikou denka" - in kanji does it look like 太閤殿下? If it is, it's like "Your majesty," when in olden times you referred to the top ministers.

This is the only thing I can think of :(
by AK rate this post as useful

to rock and water & AK 2009/1/23 10:44
thanks both of you for your quick reply! i have been taught the meaning has something to do with drums and or percussions, but i totally ignore the kanji: i am not japanese! anyway oyaji and top minister are definitely a good answer! i will scan deeper! thanks once again
by Severo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/23 11:31
"Taiko" (太鼓) means drum(s). "Denka" can mean a few different things including the one AK mentioned.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

sorry 2009/1/25 20:58
Hey, I wasn't suggesting that oyaji was the meaning...
oyaji-gyagu=the kind of gag that an older guy would tell (usually a pun) in English would be the kind of bad joke you're uncle might tell you.
Taiko can also mean ancient, I just thought that if a Japanese person told you it had another meaning, and it is ''a real old one'' they could've been making such a joke. Sorry for the misunderstanding

AK is on the money with denka being your-majesty; maybe it's the ancient highness (or something like that)
But I wouldn't discount Japanese humour ;)
by rock and water rate this post as useful

to rock and water! 2009/1/25 23:44
thank you, but there was no misundersting at all. i didn't take offence so shinpaishinaide anf grazie mille!
by Severo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread