Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Korea & re-entry permit 2009/1/22 11:56
I've got a Japanese working holiday visa, but I wish to go to Korea as soon as I arrive Japan. Considering a re-entry permit takes a few weeks to process, how do I go to Korea without losing the status of my working holiday visa?
by Lee (guest)  

... 2009/1/22 13:01
Re-entry permits don't take that long, and they can often be issued the same day if the immigration office isn't too busy. My last one took about 10 minutes to process.

I'd recommend getting the multiple permit (6000 yen) and don't forget to buy the revenue stamp before you go to immigration.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/22 13:05
Concerning the revenue stamp, its called a Shuunyuu Inshi and can be bought at the post office. This is how you pay for your reentry permint and is affixed to your application.

You will need to get a 6000 yen stamp if you want a multiple reentry permit, or 3000 for a single use reentry permit.

. 2009/1/22 15:09
As mentioned, it takes only a few minutes, last time it was less then 10minutes, but I was there early.

You must be mistaken re-entry permit with your alien registration card, Alien Registration Cards (ARC) take a week or two to be issued and that is done at your local city hall not at Immigration.

Though that brings up a good question, because if I recall the re-entry permit asks for a ARC number, I guess you can just leave it blank.

In regards to Tokyo Immigration revenue stamps you can purchase the revenue stamp at the combini in the (next to 1st floor entrance) of the Immigration Office.

Immigration has such a strange system, I don't know why you can't just pay them strait up. Anycase it is sold right there in the lobby.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Alien registration card 2009/1/22 15:23
RE: the alien registration card number for the re-entry permit form...you can get a piece of paper at your ward office called something like ''certificate on registered matters''. It basically is used to fill the gap between the period when you apply for your ARC and actually receive it. You use this paper to get a mobile phone, bank account, etc., so you may be able to also present it in place of a registration card when applying for a reentry permit.

The last time I renewed my re-entry permit, I was asked to present my alien registration card along with my passport.
by I know, it's confusing! (guest) rate this post as useful

Alien registration card 2009/1/22 15:43
Thats exactly right John, the re-entry permit asks for an Alien Registration Card. Which begs the question...Is it possible to get a re-entry permit without an Alien Registration card?
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/22 16:05
How soon is exactly soon you arrive?

If you go to your local city hall, while it takes a few weeks to issue the actual card, they can issue you a number on the spot. They give you a Certificate that acts in place of your actual card. Usually it costs 300-500yen extra depending on which city/ward office you are registered to live in.
Also the certificate they give you you can usually open a bank account and get a phone while you wait for the actual card. Though some places insist for the actual card. You should be fine at Immigration with just the certificate.

. 2009/1/22 16:06
I said weeks, but I mean a few days to a week or two, depending on your ward. But again with the temporary certificate you should be fine.

... 2009/1/22 16:39
My city hall issues registration cards exactly 2 weeks to the day after applying.

I agree that you should get the temporary registration before applying for the reentry permit just in case. However, I wonder if it is really required considering I can think of situations where you would need to apply for a reentry permit but not be required to be a register alien.

Registrtion card/certificate 2009/1/22 17:29
I leave for Korea 2 days after arriving in Japan, hence I won't have a Japanese place of residence etc. and other things an alien registration card/certificate would require. Surely there is a way for someone in my situation?
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/22 17:34
Just go to Immigration and explain the situation. If everything else is in order it should be OK.

reply to this thread