Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yoga translations please.. 2009/1/24 13:46
Hello,

I am a yoga teacher here in the U.S. and was just informed that there will be several Japanese students coming to my class fairly soon so I'd like to make them feel at home.

A friend recommended that I could ask for translations here as I have a few common phrases that I tend to use frequently.

Could somebody please help?

''Take a deep breath''

''Relax''

''Let the energy inside you flow freely''

''Focus''

''Focus on that energy''

''Focus on the energy flowing throughout your body''

''Feel that''

''Imagine a relaxing place''

''Imagine a beach''

''Imagine''

''Open yourself up''

''Open yourself up and completely let go''

by Yoga teacher (guest)  

Yoga phrases 2009/1/24 15:55
I teach yoga in Japan, so I can help you a bit here. One thing to start with is that this kind of abstract instruction does not always translate well into another language- when I teach classes in both English and Japanese I often have to use quite a different phrase in each language to express a similar idea.

"Feel that" for example- what are you wanting the students to do here exactly? Feel what, where? Do you mean focus on a particular feeling or feel it physically? Different verbs may be needed in Japanese in each case.

If trying to teach in a foreign language, I find it better to stick to simple and concrete instructions that can be easily understood.

Many Japanese teachers throw some English into their classes anyway, and most Japanese people are familiar with words for basic body parts and movements in English.

In any case, here are my translations for some of your phrases- some Japanese speakers may help out as well. If you are not familiar with Japanese pronunciation you might have trouble with some expressions.

''Take a deep breath''- you mean inhale and exhale? If so: "Fukaku kokyuu shite" (the 'a' in fukaku should be fairly long, shite should be pronounced something like "shtay")

''Relax''

-"Karada no chikara o nuite", or just say "Relax", as the English word is used in Japanese as well.

''Let the energy inside you flow freely''

"Uchigawa ni aru enerugi ga jiyuu ni nagareru you ni"

''Focus''

"Ishiki o shuuchuu shite"

''Focus on that energy''

"Sono enerugi o ishike shite"

''Focus on the energy flowing throughout your body''

"Zentai de nagareru enerugi o ishiki shite"

''Feel that'' - need clarification

''Imagine a relaxing place''

"Relax dekiru tokoro o imeeji shite"

''Imagine a beach''

"Beach o imeeji shite" (this is another English word often used in Japanese)

''Imagine'' -hard to use as an instruction on its own in Japanese.

''Open yourself up''

''Open yourself up and completely let go''

I feel these two phrases don't translate well into Japanese at all- I don't think you can tell someone to open themselves up in Japanese as it may sound too literal. Maybe some of the native speakers can provide alternatives.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

correction 2009/1/24 15:57
Sorry, "focus on that energy" should be "Sono enerugi o ishiki shite", not "ishike".
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you Sira 2009/1/26 07:03
Sira, thank you so much for your translations.

I did not realize that certain words were also used commonly in Japan.

When I say "Feel that", it's a way of instructing and/or commanding, sorta speak.

I don't know if you notice this with some of your students but I often have many beginners who have trouble focusing on a certain feeling and/or emotion so when they feel a certain feeling, I'll often command them to stay there so that they can overcome many of the stress and pressures they may be feeling in their daily lives.

Also, I have a few more translation requests please...

Imagine happy feelings.

Focus on that happy energy.

Imagine pleasurable feelings.

Focus on that pleasurable feeling.

Thanks again Sira.
by Yoga teacher (guest) rate this post as useful

Whoops! 2009/1/26 07:06
Sorry, I meant:

"Focus on that pleasurable energy"

but could you also translate "Focus on that pleasurable feeling"

along with

"Focus on that happy feeling"

Thanks again. I look forward to your reply.

One more response 2009/1/26 07:09
Hello Sira,

I apologize. I just realized I didn't really answer your question.

When I say "feel that" I do want my students to focus on both the feeling as well as physically so that the feelings become physiological as well as a pschycological. I'm a big believer in that the mind, body and spirit are very closely related.

Thank you.

reply to this thread