Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

is moving to japan just for the young 2009/1/29 10:56
I have notice that all people wanting to move to japan are young people usualy under 19 you never see any one older then that and that got me to thinking is moving to Japan just for the young anymore I mean you have to admit thats pretty strange that all you see is is just young people moving to japan.
by Robert7  

*cough* 2009/1/29 11:22
The young haven't been disillusioned yet.

;)
by Winterfell rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/29 11:27
I think its more that most of the people who post about wanting to move to Japan are younger. Often it is those who are not financially and/or legally able to make the move yet, so posting about it, planning, and getting advice are really the only active steps available to them now.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/29 11:34
There are a fair share of older posters on this forum who are planning on moving to Japan too, however. I'd say maybe half.

But I think that the older ones tend to have a plan worked out already and post more about practical matters.

Perhaps its just the young posters that we notice because they so often come off sounding naive and idealistic.

Older people 2009/1/29 11:57
Yeah, older people have already got their career path set, often have families to take care of, and it really isn't realistic to leave everything behind to move to Japan.

Younger people on the other hand, don't have those things to worry about and can afford to spend a year or two in Japan experiencing new things.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2009/1/29 12:32
I was 41 when I took a job and moved. And no it wasn't a English teaching job.
by beto (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/29 14:24
I'd be interested to see how many poster's who wish to move to Japan eventually see their plans through.

To help answer the OP's question, the majority of the expats I know here are in their 20's to early 30's. Many people move on after a few years, and I will hazard to say that those that stay on are typically married to a Japanese National.

For the record, I moved to Japan when I was 22, initially with the JET Programme. I had wanted to study abroad in Japan while in college, but didn't have the time or motivation. The timing was good as I had no responsibilities yet, and I think that if I started working straight out of college I would have never moved here. And to me Japan is a great place to spend a few years while young, but I find it too expensive to really settle or retire here.

that kind of post, maybe 2009/1/29 17:25
Not just for the young at all, if you mean the late teen set. The people who post things like "I want to move to Japan, I just graduated from high school/am in high school but I really want to go to Japan, can you tell me how I can do this?" are of course young. Older people tend to research things a bit better, ask specific questions etc. perhaps without mentioning their age.

Plenty of people arrive in Japan in their 30s and 40s- they tend to have the money saved to do it and some work experience. Of course young people are more likely to want to move though- we almost all start to put down roots and get more settled as we move into our 30s, but then some people, often to a large life change like divorce for example, start to get itchy feet in their 30s or 40s and that's when they move. I've met lots of them here!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

notice a lot of them 2009/1/29 19:32
As others have suggested, I notice a lot of expats-to-be who post questions here about high-end furniture, large houses and children's education. They are obviously older, and their question titles don't necessarily include words like "move."

But I suppose that in any country, not many in their 40s and older come venturing into a country (s)he doesn't really know about. So many in that age range already have traveled to Japan many times, and have collected information from people they actually know or even have collected information through the local language, Japanese, and therefore don't need to post here. Or they simply ask the organization who've already hired them to work in Japan.

But generally speaking, people who post questions on the internet seem to be mostly in their late teens to their 30s. When you're older and come up with a question, you usually find better ways to answer them yourself, or you're simply more analog.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/29 23:53
I have notice that all people wanting to move to japan are young people usualy under 19 you never see any one older then that and that

Really? Because most of the people I've met have been in the 20's and mid 30's (the same age group as myself).

There's a difference in "wanting" and reading about it on the internet forums, yes many young people want to move thats quite common to read about but there's a difference from reading and hearing about young people, vs seeing who's actually in Japan. Which is mainly mid 20's -mid 30's crowd, though I know older people but they've been in Japan for 15+ years.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

need advice 2009/1/30 04:29
I am still a teen, but i am planning on moving to japan. i am already studying japanese and also tried looking for houses and stuff but i still need help and advice u know.
by Ayman (guest) rate this post as useful

Living a Dream 2009/1/30 16:16
Here I am 47 been in Japan 3 years bought some land and will be building my own cabin this summer, there our many older foreigners here in Japan and with a little money there are many opportunities.
by 47 (guest) rate this post as useful

If you have enough courage... 2009/1/30 21:26
When you are young- life is so simple. After having a family, huge loans, regular work..you got scared to change your life.And still you are boring to death with your daily life...like living yesterday over and over and over again.
And afterwards you regret that you didn't do anything while you still got the change.Moving to live in Japan might sound diffecult- language, how to find job, how to get friends, etc.But still so fascinating option. But maybe someday.. one can dream.. before the 'final countdown'.
by ninni rate this post as useful

Off topic 2009/1/30 23:26
Most of my dreams and adventures came true after my late 20s and after I had a child. Sure enough, if you have little children, they are not going to say yes to all the moves you make, but being older gives you more freedom in general compared to the times when you were a dreamy teenager. Of course, students have their own advantages too, though.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

my life time dream 2009/1/30 23:44
I am 35 and wish to move to Japan, I am currently taking Japanese classes and trying my best. I have been a late bloomer all my life and I just realised after over 10 years of watching japanese drama's that I might want to move there.

I currently take care of my handicapped mother, so I know it wont be for a while but I still see myself as young, and also see it as I can always go there after I retire. I think just because of the anime boom, younger people are looking at Japan through rose colored glasses and dont realize the "reality" of what it takes to move there. Only after a little research I saw it is not as easy as in america.
by lowsushi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread