Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lots of food-related questions 2009/1/29 17:26
I'm going to Japan for 2 months, and am really worried about the cost of food. I can make my own bento boxes and don't mind eating ramen/other cheap stuff, but I'm wondering how much I'm looking at here. I'm a girl and I don't eat much to begin with. Here are my questions (if you don't mind answering =]):

1. How much are groceries in Japan? I am not interested in having western food while there, and websites like PriceCheckTokyo don't really help since I don't eat those foods so often/the website doesn't have a huge list. I'm also a little confused about the eggs.. Why are some eggs white with black dots on them? And do eggs come already hard boiled (I heard this somewhere)?

2. What is a really cheap grocery store in either Tama Plaza or Tokyo?

3. Is it impolite to carry groceries home on a train? What about big things like rice cookers?

4. I know that there have been many discussions about eating in public. However, since my lodging is outside of Tokyo it will be too expensive to travel back to eat my bento lunch each day. Where are places aside from parks where I can enjoy my packed lunch? And are there many tables in parks to do so (for when I do go to parks)?

5. I will be staying in a guest house with a kitchen. Do they usually have rice cooker(s) available?

6. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that there are 100 yen sushi places.. This is hard for me to believe! Is it true, and where are they? Is there something wrong with the sushi (like will I probably get tape worm)?

7. What kinds of food can I get at 100 and 99 yen shops? Can I get ramen there? What about convenience stores? How cheap is the food there? Cheaper than grocery stores?

8. How much would 1 month's worth of groceries cost? Again, I eat very little and don't need western foods. I understand if you can't give an estimate based off of that information! ^_~

9. In guest houses, how do guests keep their food separated in the refrigerator? Also, should I expect the kitchen refrigerator to be really tiny? And do you think I can keep my food in there?

10. Does rice have to be refrigerated after it is made? I kind of want to make rice before I go to bed, then leave it covered in my room until morning to make bento boxes. Is that just nasty? lol

11. How often do people get tape worm? And do all restaurants freeze the fish long enough? Even cheap restaurants?

12. Do people who own guest houses usually not mind how early you get up and start using the kitchen? I really want to avoid the other people who might be staying there. I'm sort of shy and have had bad experiences with people wanting me to 'cook them something too' when I sometimes have no time to.

13. Would it be weird or inappropriate to bring a bento to the Ghibli museum? Would I not be allowed to use a table at the cafe to eat at if I don't purchase anything there?

Sorry about all of the questions. Thank you! ^_^
by GoLizzy (guest)  

Re: 2009/1/30 04:00
To some questions I can answer.

The price of vegetable varies by season and location.
A small sack of potatoes(1kg), 4-5 eggplants(Japanese eggplants are smaller than American ones), onions, 1 ball of lettuce or cabbage
would be priced about 150-300 yen each.
A pack of 10 eggs would be about 100-250 yen, and meats would be about 100-500 yen per 100g.
A sack of rice(5kg, 35-50 servings) would be about 2000-2500 yen.

The most popular eggs are off white, and some high grade ones are brown.
They are usually sold raw, not boiled.

I don't recommend you to do so.
It won't be regarded extremely impolite
unless the train is crammed, but you have chance of getting laughed at
if something is sticking out from your bag.

Are you thinking of carrying rice cooker?
It sounds so funny as if you are going to carry a microwave oven.

Unless you are working at somewhere and just traveling,
I think the most possible choice is to find a park and eat there.
Maybe you can eat at a bench in the train station, but you will attract people's attention.
Tables in parks are rare to be seen, so when Japanese eat outside,
we put the bento box on lap or hold it with left hand.

There are many 100 or 120 yen sushi restaurant in city area.
The rice would be machine formed, and the quality of fish is far worse than a formal sushi restaurant.
But as far as I know, nobody got a tape worm at such sushi restaurants. It's safe at least.

It depends, but you can find many kind of things.
Those which can be eaten as is such as riceballs or breads,
or those which are to be cooked such as vegetables, meats or anything.
Of course you can find snacks, instant ramens, drinks too.
It would be cheaper than convenience stores and the qualities are almost the same.
Comparing it with grocery stores, somethings are sold cheaper at 100 yen stores,
but I'm dubious of the quality of raw foods sold at 100 yen store and
I usualy buy only packaged foods or drinks at 100 yen stores.

8. If you regulary cook, I think you can live on a month with 15000-20000 yen meal budget.

I'm not familiar with such guest houses,
but I guess you just write your name on the package.

It is usually ok if you eat within 24 hour or so,
but in the rainy and dampen season, you have better eat within 6 hour or so.
I think your plan is ok unless it is from late May to early July.

I've never heard about tape worm harms to be found around myself.
I think you need not worry about tape worms.
Even if you are worrying about foodborne illness,
it is very rare and I can assure you that you will never come up with such problems within a short staying
unless you eat something dropped on the floor.

An online post says there are some open deck with bench and table you can eat bentos.
Maybe it is sectioned from the restaurant area, but you can eat anyway.
by dice-geist (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/30 05:55
To all your questions about guesthouse accommodations, the answer would be, "it depends on the guest house"

For your questions about food prices. Depends on what you buy. My tip is go to supermarkets before they close (find out the local grocery near your home, find out what time they close, and show up 30 minutes or so before). Grocery stores before they close often have sales (up to 50%) on perishable items (eg fishes, meats, precooked bentos, sandwiches etc). Also drinks are cheaper at grocery stores then at convenience stores.

As for 100 yen shops (every thing is really 105 yen when you count the tax), depending on the 100 yen store, you pretty much have everything, cup ramen (which can be cheaper at the grocery store anyway if you buy them in packets). To frozen foods (small quantities) etc. again depending on which stores you go to, they all vary.

As for eating, I don't know exactly what you plan to do, work, go to school or just travel. Nothing wrong with eating on a bench somewhere in the park.

For local shop suggestions, I would suggest asking those who are staying at the same guesthouse, I'm pretty sure they will have the knowledge to help you out with other tips.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Answers to some of your questions 2009/1/30 08:47
GoLizzy,

And do eggs come already hard boiled (I heard this somewhere)?

You can buy soft-boiled and hard-boiled eggs at supermarkets and convenience stores if you want them, but most people buy fresh eggs.

Is it impolite to carry groceries home on a train?

Not at all. It's only impolite if you place your shopping on the seat next to you while other people are standing - like older Japanese are wont to do.

What about big things like rice cookers?

It would be best to avoid the rush hours, but otherwise, there is no problem.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Worrying too much... 2009/1/30 08:47
First, stop worrying about tapeworm. Japanese people take food preparation and hygiene very seriously and it is not a third world country you are going to.

Second- ask the people in your guesthouse where the cheap supermarkets are in the area- I guarantee they'll know, and there will be plenty. You most likely won't need to take a train at all as an area like Tama Plaza will be well supplied.

The fridge could be large or small but will probably be a decent size, although they can get full when people move out and forget to throw away their stuff beforehand.

Usually you write your room number on your things to show what is yours.

In winter you till be ok to keep rice in your room overnight as long as you don't heat your room too much, but in the hot humid summers here things that aren't refrigerated go bad astonishingly fast and I wouldn't want to eat rice that had been out all night (even covered) in August.

Most eggs come raw, just like anywhere else, although you can buy boiled ones in convenience stores for snacks. They are white or brown, just like what you are used to. The ones with black dots are quails' eggs used for Chinese cooking and are very small.

Why worry so much about this kind of thing? Food is actually not that expensive in japan, it's a complete myth that it is, and feel free to eat western food- pasta for example is super cheap.

Relax and enjoy visiting the supermarkets and shopping when you get here, don't try to plan out every last detail before you arrive- aren't you coming here for an adventure?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/3 20:45
When I first came to Japan, I ate the majority of my meals from things I bought at the 100 yen shop. Depending on what you buy (because the quantity can last from one meal to several meals) it is possible to cook and eat balanced, easy to prepare meals (albeit with less variety than you may be used to) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If I remember correctly, it usually came to under 700 yen a day, sometimes much less. However, you will, most likely, want to eat out, which can also be fairly cheap as long as you know where to go.

Another thing to think about is drinks. This might sound stupid, but I almost never bought drinks from a vending the States (don't like soda/don't believe I should have to pay for water, etc.) When I came here, though, the vast number of vending machines is so fricking overwhelming that it's like they beckon to you or something. I end up buying at least one beverage most days, more if it's really hot or really cold outside. If you have a plan to get around this (like a water bottle that you refill at a drinking fountain) it will most likely help you save money.

About trains- people travel to the airport with their big luggage on trains. As long as you can carry it yourself and, as has been mentioned, don't occupy extra seating, who cares if people think it's strange? They sure aren't gonna say anything and you'll probably never see them again anyway.

BTW, don't know about your schedule/prefered location/guest house plans, but I know of a place that offers a pretty good deal for guests who are willing to work mornings as cleaning staff. If this interests you, post again and I'll give you the details.

Hope this helps!
by sora da yo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread