Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

'Native' speakers - English teachers 2009/2/2 09:57
Hi,

Am I considered 'native' speaker if I have Australian citizenship but was not born in Australia?

In other words, how do they determine if you are a 'native' English speaker, do they check 1) your birth certificate or 2) your citizenship? If it is 2) I am fine otherwise...

Appreciate any help. Thanks!
by aussie (guest)  

Native 2009/2/2 11:39
Aussie,

Am I considered 'native' speaker if I have Australian citizenship but was not born in Australia?

If your native tongue is not English, then technically you are not a native English speaker.

In other words, how do they determine if you are a 'native' English speaker, do they check 1) your birth certificate or 2) your citizenship? If it is 2) I am fine otherwise...

Who is "they"? If you are talking about an English teaching job, then I don't think most employers will be particularly bothered that you are not technically a native English speaker, provided that your English is of native level (not "near native"). If you look Asian, though, you could find that your credentials and ancestry are subject to more scrutiny, although I don't think there is any reason for anyone to see your birth certificate.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Should be fine 2009/2/2 22:32
If you have an Australian passport that is likely to be enough. Don't mention that you weren't born in Australia.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread