Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Publishing in Japan 2009/2/5 05:00
Hello,

I will be attempting soon to publish in Japan a work of fiction that I have written in English (meant to be translated to Japanese for publication.)

This story takes place in Japan and is aimed at the Japanese reader, as such, that is where I am attempting to first publish it.

I am looking for information about publishing houses and agents in Japan. I have done some research on the net, but would like to open this question to all of you out there that may have info about this.

I realize that nearly all the publishing houses and agents are located in Tokyo, and that is where ILll be going, although all suggestions are welcome.

ILm especially interested in contacts that have a history of, or reputation for, representing foreign authors or publishing foreign works.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
by Ben (guest)  

an opinion 2009/2/5 12:13
First find a good translator and consult with that person. It all depends on the tone and quality of the book.

And yes, most publishing companies are in Tokyo, and they can handle it because the mailing system is good enough.

But I can't recall a foreign author who made his/her debut by a translated Japanese novel published in Japan. I do know foreign authors who wrote novels in Japanese her/himself and made great debuts in Japan, and I also know foreign authors who were already popular in their home country and then published a translated novel just for Japan.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread