Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wrk in Jp(private tutor) Visitor visa 2009/2/5 10:32
Hi,
I am an IT pro, who is very interested in Japan. I am a permanant resident of USA (green card)and Sri Lankan citizen.
Is it possible to work in Japan as a private English tutor with travel visa? My English is at native(USA) level.

This way I can learn Japanese as well, and may be change my visa status later..

..any advice? thank you!!
by dave321  

... 2009/2/5 10:47
If by "travel visa" you mean Temporary Visitor Visa, the type you get when coming on a short-term sightseeing trip or for a short business trip, no, you cannot engage in any paid work while you are on that visa.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

90 days 2009/2/5 11:00
Even if you did try (which is illegal, as above), you only get 90 days in Japan as a tourist, so not enough time to find students, which can take a while, and most wouldn't want to start taking lessons from you knowing you would only be in Japan 90 days.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

extend visitor visa to work visa 2009/2/5 13:18
ummm, i read somewhere that you can look for a job(private tutor etc.) with tour visa while you are in Japan, then go out of the country and get work visa. Is that true?
by dave321 rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/5 13:34
That is not "extend" but "change of status."

If, while you are on a "temporary visitor visa," you find an employer, that is. But I don't think private tutor (unless you get dispatched as a tutor by a company to teach many students) qualifies as a full-time employment for which the employer can sponsor you for a work-permitting visa such as "Instructor." Normally it's only for full-time employment that anyone would sponsor you for a visa.
by AK rate this post as useful

visa sponsor 2009/2/5 13:49
AK is right. You need to be sponsored by an employer who has offered you a full time position to be able to change your status to work visa (it's not always necessary to leave the country to do that, by the way).

You are not eligible for a visa if the only kind of work you are doing is private tutoring.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Very complicated and not 90 days for you 2009/2/5 13:56
I am a permanant resident of USA (green card)and Sri Lankan citizen.
So you are not US citizen and you won't get 90 days temporary visitor visa. You will first have to apply for a visa while in USA and it is much more complicated for nationals of countries and areas without visa exemption arrangements with Japan. Even if you succeed you will get only 15 days as it is usually the case for countries without arrangements with Japan. There is actually a lot of illegal immigrants from Sri Lanka in Japan and you will probably face a very serious visa screening procedure in USA. And please respect Japan laws: if they say no work with temporary visitor visa it means NO work.
by Banana Republic rate this post as useful

working on visitor visa's 2009/2/5 17:06
If the authorities catch you working on a visitor visa its over and you may be blacklisted and never be able to return to japan. Ive heard some people try to work in japan through visitor visa's by going back and forth, but not only is that expensive but they will question your frequent visits and may suspect you yet again.
by sonny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread