Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

commuter pass on both Suica&Pasmo card? 2009/2/5 16:04
is it possible to save a commuter pass to both cards (without being charged twice)?
also, would it even really make sense to do this? I know each card allows you to get discounts at different places and I'm curious about if most people carry both cards.

on a related note, I'm going to be commuting from Nishi-Kawaguchi to Yotsuya during the spring semester and I was wondering if someone could tell me the best/cheapest route to get a pass for. it would be nice to find one that passes through Shinjuku.

Hopefully these questions make sense. I'm not living in Japan yet, so I'm just basing these questions on online research and my confused understanding of thejapan rail systems. thanks!
by thetourist (guest)  

... 2009/2/5 16:28
The route from Nishi-Kawaguchi to Yotsuya would be:
(1) Nishi-Kawaguchi to Akabane (on JR Keihin Tohoku Line)
(2) Akabane to Shinjuku (on JR Saikyo Line or JR Shonan-Shinjuku Line)
(3) Shinjuku to Yotsuya (on JR Chuo Line)
...you change trains twice, and this route goes through Shinjuku.

Total one way would be 290 yen. I have not looked up the monthly pass price, but a monthly pass pays off if you commute daily.

As it's completely JR train lines, you will be buying a Suica-based pass. Suica and PASMO cards are issued by different entities, so no, you cannot have the same pass on two cards (or you pay double!).
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/5 16:30
is it possible to save a commuter pass to both cards (without being charged twice)?

The answer is no, but why would you want to?
Can you imagine the amount of fraud that could happen if they did allow it?

As for discounts, Suica and Pasmo are stored value cards, I don't know of which stores that offer actual discounts for using the card. At stores, all they do is deduct the amount of money for product purchased.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/5 16:34
Suica and Pasmo besides their names are essentially the exact same thing. Both function (for the Tokyo Metro area) the same. Suica can be used on Pasmo and Pasmo on Suica.

So most people own one or the other, but not both.

Since your trip is JR, JR sells Suica. But the card itself is perfectly useable on any other system that takes PASMO (and vice versa).

. 2009/2/5 16:42
Thanks everyone. that clears up a lot of confusion I've had. is Suica accepted on buses?

Also, if anyone could directed me to a place where i can find a quote for a 3 (or 4, if that exists) month pass for the route I mentioned above it would help me out a lot. thanks!
by thetourist (guest) rate this post as useful

Trains 2009/2/5 16:53
Yes, Suica works on all buses that also accept Pasmo- as above, they are essentially interchangeable.

A 3-month commuter pass for your route is 35,510 yen. There are 1-, 3- and 6-month passes, no 4-month passes.

A 1-month pass is 12,460 yen.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/5 18:00
Sira,

How did you get those numbers? Both on Ekitan and JR Ekinet, I ended up with 8,820 for one month and 25,140 for three months (adult commuting pass).
by AK rate this post as useful

my check 2009/2/5 18:10
Nishi-kawaguchi - JR - Oji - Tokyo metro - Yotsuya way costs 12,520 yen for a month, 35,680yen for 3 months.

AK's All-JR way costs as AK suggested.

by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/5 19:11
Most city buses are equipped and labled to take Pasmo. But as I mentioned, Pasmo and Suica cards work interchangeably, so you can use Suica cards on buses to. So don't worry if you have a Suica card but the sign says PASMO, they work with each others networks.

Sophia Uni? 2009/2/7 06:06
Hey, are you going to Sophia University? I'm enrolled for this spring.

II have this form from Sophia that arranged housing at DK House in Warabi city.
The form states three routes from the same points as yours with the use of a commuter's pass of one month (student fee)

A: via Shinjuku 6990 yen
B: via Aihabara 7260 yen
C: route of TS 8080 yen

I have to find out where to get one of these passes yet.
by crashacat rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/7 08:32
yeah, I am haha. I guess we're dorm mates!
I just got that same form today.
I'm not sure what route we'll be taking from the airport to Warabi but if we're taking the Narita Express train I imagine it would be a pretty good deal to get this Suica at Narita http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html
by thetourist (guest) rate this post as useful

green counter 2009/2/7 09:57
1.I have to find out where to get one of these passes yet.

You can buy one at the Green Counter at Nishikawaguchi station.
by T‚“ (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks T 2009/2/8 16:11
Thanks T,

@the tourist. I'm getting the nxt suica combo, but i'm going sooner to japan on the 22 of this month.

Dk house has a large room, but is 1hr travel time. Wished i made my own housing arrangements for a room that is closer to Sophia.

Lotsa thing to figure out still. How long are you going to be studying there?

. 2009/2/8 21:27
Commuter passes can be purchased at any train station "COMMUTER PASS" vending machine.

. 2009/2/8 21:28
If you are going to Sohpia, University Students can get a student commuter pass discount, in which case you'll need the paperwork from your school and apply for one manually (eg not at a machine). But student commuter passes can be upwards to 50% off normal pass fares.

Cheers 2009/2/12 10:56
Thanks for the help John.

reply to this thread