Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Eastern Hokkaido 2009/2/8 11:42
We are regular visitors to Japan and would now like to plan a visit to Eastern Hokkaido, i.e. Shiretoko, Lake Akan area, Kushiro marshland. We canft decide between July and February. What is the weather like in July (i.e. rain/cloud versus sunshine), or is everything more spectacular in February? I am used to driving in Japan and have driven on snow before, but how accessible would the above areas be by car during February? Many thanks for your help.
by Jon Morgan (guest)  

... 2009/2/8 13:32
July is when everything is accessible and open, hiking is possible and the landscape is green and beautiful. I definitely recommend to go in July if you are into outdoor activities.

In February everything is snow covered, many things are closed and the landscape is white and beautiful. You might be able to see drift ice along the coast of Shiretoko. The cranes in Kushiro Wetlands can be observed in winter as they gather at the feeding stations.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread