Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

purchasing softbank 2009/2/8 17:04
I aware that this isn't the first time and probably there were a lot of them who asked about my question, but I'd like to ask if I were to buy a softbank 3G phone on behalf of my japanese friend, is it possible?

I do aware that purchasing cellphone in japan could be a pain in the arse, due to their policies and such. And I read somewhere that it was possible to buy prepaid softbank phone on behalf of his japanese friend. in that article, the poster said that every softbank should be able to work with prepaid SIM, so he purchased one on behalf of his japanese friend, later cancel the contract and pay the fee, and keep the phone. so if he goes back to japan, he can ask his friend to buy a prepaid SIM card for him to use. but that's like long time ago, so I dont know if it's still the same now.

And the one that I want to purchase is not in that prepaid 3G line up, so yea~ I just want to make sure before purchasing one, because it seems like a good deal. anyone knows about this?
by ellis (guest)  

... 2009/2/9 10:18
Do you mean have your Japanese friend purchase a phone on your behalf (i.e. he buys it for you)?

Yes it is possible, and you can purchase the phones in the regular lineup without signing up for a contract, BUT the price is different than if you were to get a contract (typically around 30000 yen depending on the phone). They usually advertise the price with a 2-year contract which is significantly cheaper so make sure you know the correct prices before buying.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/9 10:20
also, with the latest contract rules, it is significantly more expensive to cancel a contract then it used to be, and often brings up the cost of the phone to the same level as if you just bought it outright.

. 2009/2/9 11:24
so if I were to ask my friend to buy only the handset w/o signing a contract, then buy the SIM, will I be able to use my handphone later on? I mean like, I heard there will be things tt disabled from the phone, like internet although emailing is ok.

and if I sign the contract, do they deducted the payment from CC every month or just I'll jz need to pay all of it the time I sign the contract?
since I heard about 5000yen for 365days kind of thing.
by ellis (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/9 15:57
so if I were to ask my friend to buy only the handset w/o signing a contract, then buy the SIM, will I be able to use my handphone later on? I mean like, I heard there will be things tt disabled from the phone, like internet although emailing is ok.

This is generally the case if you are trying to use a foreign phone with a Japanese SIM since some of the functions are tied into the hardware of your phone. I suspect that it won't be a problem, however since you will be using a Japanese phone.

and if I sign the contract, do they deducted the payment from CC every month or just I'll jz need to pay all of it the time I sign the contract?

I think they can if you are using a Japanese credit card, but I'm not positive. If using a foreign credit card then you can only pay in one payment.

since I heard about 5000yen for 365days kind of thing.

what are you referring to?

Also, which phone are you looking at and what country are you planning on using it in. It varies by handset whether or not this is even possible, and Japanese handsets will generally have reduced funcitionality when used on overseas networks if you can even get them unlocked in the first place.

. 2009/2/9 19:14
oh sorry, my bad, it should be referred to recharge, n should be 5000 for 6months XD anyway last year when I went to one of softbank shop in Ueno, there was JPY75,000 and 2years contract. if I were to purchase tt one,means I only have to pay JPY75,000 in the beginning n no additional fee until 2years? how if I dont want to renew the contract aftr 2yrs?

I'm interested in their waterproof phone. and I'm living in Singapore. can I use it from thr?

softbank contract 2009/2/9 20:00
Some SoftBank phones can be used overseas if the 3G network is similar. SIngapore uses the same network, so it's ok. You need a hyperSIM card. Look at www.howardforums.com

I've heard that packet service will be disabled on prepaid cards, but I've never used one so I can't say for sure.

Regarding payment, you will pay for the phone up front. The contract cost and calls and service charges are paid automatically by CC every month. Yes, it works with a foreign credit card, at least with VISA. You can also opt to pay your bills as you receive them, but they will insist on a paper-less method. Green policy thingy. If you want bills, you will be able to pay them at convenience stores.

Also, use the FeliCa. It's great, fun and when you get back to Sin you might be able to trick the MRT with it ^_^,
by Hokan rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/9 20:25
if I signed the contract and opted CC for month bill, then decided not to continue/renew it after 2yrs,would it be a hassle? as I probably not in japan by the time the contract ended.

in ur opinion, which one is better? to purchase the handset and hypersim/prepaid card, or to purchase it an sign the contract?

lol @MRT thing
It sounds like fun :p

reply to this thread