Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

japanese business e-mail 2009/2/9 15:39
Hi,

I have recently applied for work at a Japanese university and would like to check with them to make sure my application was received. They request applicants contact them through e-mail, so my question is how does one write a short business e-mail in Japanese? Is it the same as a business letter regarding opening/closing? What would be appropriate?

Alternatively, if people don't check on applications in Japan and this would be viewed badly by the university, please let me know. :)

Thanks in advance!
by vita (guest)  

... 2009/2/9 22:41
If you have any reason, for example, that you mailed your resume by "snail mail" from overseas, and want to make sure that they were received, then yes you could write to ask about/confirm receipt. But if not, I think many employers simply respond only to those they are interested in. Did they say anything like "application documents will not be returned" or "only successful applicants will be contacted" on the advertisement?

On the other hand, if they require Japanese language skills for the position, and if you are fluent, it would be a good opportunity to show that :) For e-mails, though it also depends on how conservative the organization is, you can normally go without the full opening greeting line about the season and all that, as well as "haikei" and "keigu."
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread