Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

wifi in tokyo/kyot. freespot? 2009/2/11 21:40
If there free wifi access in public places in japan? In singapore theres free wifi for most cafes and fast food places.

I read about this freespot thingy.

http://www.freespot.com/about/index.html

But some say it's free while some say it isn't. If it's not anyway to apply. wifi would work great for me since i can access google maps on iphone.
If there is
by cher (guest)  

There's no such thing 2009/2/12 12:37
There's no such thing as a free lunch (in 95% of all situations) and I would put public wifi access in the 95% category... If you want to use wifi at fast food restaurants or train stations, just pony up the 500 yen (for example) and then you can use it all you want for a few days.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Wired Cafe 2009/2/12 15:28
The freespot site says free wifi is available for customers of the places listed. No extra charge.

I can attest to Wired Cafe--you can use wifi or their laptops that are hooked up without extra charge. There's one in Shibuya at the top floor above Starbucks and one in Harajuku above the AU Studio.
by dd (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/12 15:32
Unfortunately, free, as in no cost, wireless networks are far and few between in Japan. I've had the best luck finding them at Starbucks and Tulley's coffee shops around Japan, but not all branches have them and they're not always free.

The freespot website is terribly misleading. By freespot they appear to mean a wireless network that is free for the public to access provided they pay an access fee, as opposed to a secured private wireless network that there is no way to access.

Also, I checked out some of the freespots listed near me on their English location map:

http://www.freespot.com/users/map_e.html

and all the listed ones are in hotels, which are typically not cost-free and are also only supposed to be used by hotel guests. They also didn't list any of the actually free wireless networks of the local coffee shops either.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/12 15:41
What dd says make sense then, which would explain why the many of the places listed are internet cafe's and hotels. Seems more that the problem is that "freespot" is mistakenly thought to mean "free wireless network" while it is apparent that it does not.

... 2009/2/12 19:01
Wired Cafe is not an "Internet Cafe" per se. It's a full service restaurant with the added convenience of being able to use the Internet. Some jazz coffee houses have this service, too.
by dd (guest) rate this post as useful

Freespot 2009/2/12 19:41
Cher,

The reason why you have been getting conflicting answers to your question is because some of the locations listed require a subscription, while (most) others appear to be free. As you have probably gathered by now, free wifi access is not that common in Japan.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

paid wifi service? 2009/2/12 20:27
Ok. So i'm assuming only customer of the establishment can access to the freespot wifi.

So is there a wifi service which i can apply to to have access in tokyo or koto? I don't mind paying for wifi if the price is reasonable.
by cher (guest) rate this post as useful

Errr 2009/2/13 03:55
A lot of McD's have free wifi, but they never gave me the password. Despite the fact that I paid for it. Friggin jerks.
by elkarlo rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/13 11:19
The wifi service available at McDonalds is NOT free. Its a subscription based service offered by YahooBB.

Cher, have you considered cell network based internet. You can rent the equipment and the service at Narita Airport.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19.html

I have cell based internet for my laptop and I don't find it very useful when out travelling. Rather, I stay at hotels that provide free internet (such as toyoko-inn) and use their internet. Its cheaper and faster. What do you plan to use mobile internet for?

reply to this thread