Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taking a dog with me for holidays 2009/2/13 06:45
Me and my friend will go to tokyo this summer for 3-4 weeks but he needs to bring his dog (rottweiler, big dog), whats the procedure for this? Do we need to visit the dutch ambassy? does he get in Quarantine? please help

Will it cost a lot to bring a dog.. and would we able to find a place in tokyo where we are allowed to keep him?
by Kai (guest)  

... 2009/2/13 11:08
I would advise against bringing a dog for such a short vacation, especially a large dog. It will be expensive to transport, highly stressful for the animal, and unless you have completed all the proper procedures, vaccinations, and paperwork, the dog will be required to be quarantined for up to 180 days upon arrival.

Also, few hotels accept pets and most that do will only take small animals.

It would be best to kennel the dog at home rather than bringing him to Japan where you will likely just be kenneling him anyway.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/13 11:12
here's some threads about moving with dogs:

concerning big dogs:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+5...

quarantine info:
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Crazy idea 2009/2/13 11:19
Kai,

Why does your friend "need" to bring his rottweiler with him? It would spend all its time in quarantine and Japanese kennels (at great expense), and you wouldn't be able to travel by train with it, so surely leaving it in his home country would be far less stressful for both the dog and the owner.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

totally impractical 2009/2/13 16:42
I agree with Dave. You would have to leave it in quarantine for weeks, then when you are able to pick it up, you can't take it on any kind of public transport or into any kind of hotel or accommodation- how will you travel/stay in Japan with those restrictions? Nobody brings their large dog with them when travelling to countries like Japan.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Dutch Embassy? 2009/2/13 16:48
As for visiting the Dutch embassy, if you are in the Netherlands and coming to Japan then it is the Japanese embassy you would ask. There is no Dutch Embassy in the Netherlands!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread