Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temporary Job No Degree 2009/2/14 02:05
Hello,

I am almost done with my associate's degree and will not have my bachelor's for another 2-3 years. I have been studying Japanese for almost 2 years and have a quick question about temporary work in Japan. My husband and I will be purchasing a home in the states this year but it has always been my dream to live in Japan. Is there a way I might be able to find a 6 month job as an assistant or teaching English without a BA?
by suiren  

ned the bachelor's 2009/2/14 08:55
As an American citizen without a full bachelor's degree, I am afraid that you do not meet Japan Immigration's requirements for a working visa. (Canadians, Australians and a few other nationalities can come on working holiday visas even without degrees, but there is no such arrangement between Japan and the US.)

You could come as a student and work part time, or wait until you have completed your bachelor's degree, by which time you will be fully eligible.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Reply 2009/2/14 09:49
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't think I would make enough money part time to send back for my part of the mortgage and to support myself, so that wouldn't work out. Thank you for the information though.
by suiren rate this post as useful

mistake in title 2009/2/14 10:20
For the title of my post above I actually meant to type "need the bachelor's".

You are probably right. It actually costs a lot just to study in Japan, and set-up costs can be high, so you would probably not even break even working while studying, let alone be able to send money back.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Extended vacation? 2009/2/14 16:30
Maybe take an extended vacation in Japan. That way you satisfy your current "craving" to live in Japan and when you return home you can complete your degree.

Last year I lived in Tokyo for 6 weeks. I say lived because I rented an apartment, shopped in the local supermarket, ate in neighbourhood restaurants, etc. I also travelled around Japan. I had a Rail Pass and made excellent use of it taking overnight trips to Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyoto, Matsuyama, Omi Shima, Himeji and when I returned to Tokyo, I would go to my apaato and it would feel like home.
by silverjets rate this post as useful

reply to this thread