Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Paying NHK 2009/2/14 12:54
Is it compulsory to pay NHK? I believe it's not, or at best a gray area, but would appreciate confirmation.

Some years ago I was with a partner who paid the subscription (in my name), but we are no longer together.

I used to use SkyperfecTV, but cancelled the contract, I never watch TV and in fact got rid of my TV a while back.

I explained this to NHK, but I still get the bills, going up every time (maybe 2 years' worth)

I don't pay these bills for the above reasons - I'm not using the service. What can be hard to understand about that??

Any advice about how to get NHK off my back, as it's kind of irritating me.
by Annie (guest)  

... 2009/2/14 16:07
My understanding is that if you have a TV, you are required to pay. If you have none, you are not. In that case, I am pretty sure that a formal "cancellation" or similar needs to be submitted. I recommend to contact NHK directly:
http://www.nhk.or.jp/eigyo/files_e/e_qa_a04.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Yes, but.. 2009/2/14 16:44
Thanks Uji, I'll try that link.

But, if I'm 'required' to pay (i.e it's compulsory), how come NHK have not forcefully required me to pay in around 2 years (like legal action akin to other countries)?

Is this one of these famous gray areas of Japanese culture where, well, yes you are, but no you're not?
by Annie (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/14 17:06
It is required to pay, but a large percentage of people in Japan do not pay it. They have no enforcement mechanism to do so.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

I didn't pay it 2009/2/14 17:30
I didn't pay it the entire time I was there. The NHK people came around to my apartment a handful of times in a three year timespan but I told them every time, that I simply didn't watch NHK. (Which was actually true) They seemed to be pretty understanding and never forced me or threatened me with any legal action.

Of course, if you're actually watching NHK programming though, I think it's a whole different story and you should pay for what you watch.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/14 17:34
You are "required" to pay even if you don't watch NHK, if you own a TV you are "required" to pay.

That being said, many people do not. And they have no enforcement mechanism other then constantly bugging you to do so.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

No TV 2009/2/14 18:26
That's my point - I no longer HAVE a TV. I got rid of it years back and now just use the Internet.
by Annie (guest) rate this post as useful

"need" 2009/2/14 19:21
I simply play the ''dumb gaijin'' if NHK happens to come knocking on my door while my roommate is out (actually, has only happened twice). You don't really need to pay. There was a big scandal (I don't know the details) with how NHK was using this money several years back and since then many people are ''opting out''.
by lonesoullost rate this post as useful

reply to this thread