Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Budget doubts 2009/2/16 21:29
I will be in Japan for 2 weeks from the 12th to the 26th of April. I planned this trip last year in septembre and the currency fluctuation hadn't started and I had to set a budget right then cause the friend I'm traveling with gets the money from his parents. At the time I said 3000EU(3800$)/person . We bout the ticket for 850EU and booked with a total of 800EU/14nights/person.
Now we are left with 1350EU(1700$) each for the rest of the expenses.
I can probbably add money to my budget but I can't ask my friend to up a budget I guaranteed. I've nerver been to Japan before but this is a trip I've always dreamed about and I want it to be great for both of us.
What do you think about our current budget?
by Caja  

Budget Doubts 2009/2/17 04:37
Hi Caja,

I'm also going to be staying in for three months commencing in April. To me your budget looks ok but it depends on what you intend to do (amount of travel activities etc). Long distance travel will be one of your biggest expenditures as will accommodation. There are some good deals or rail travel for sightseeing though:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html

If you are staying in one area you can book into dorms quite cheaply.

Hope you have a great time,

G
by GazzShaw rate this post as useful

Budget Doubts 2009/2/17 04:59
I was already considering the JR Japan Rail Pass but I want my visa first and then I'll order - so thanks for that advice.
Accomodations would be a great cut to the budget indeed - but the most expensive (about 600EU for 10 nights) is the Tokyo hotel. I will not give that up because it's designed by a great architect. Both me and my friend are in this field and I think that experiencing a well designed hotel is part of the experince. The moder architecture is half of my motive for this trip.
Thank you for your answer! ( ps: I SOOO envy your 3 moths stay.)
by Caja rate this post as useful

accomodation paid for? 2009/2/17 05:49
If your accomodation is paid for already, then the $1700US seems fine, even taking a 14 day JR Pass :we plan on about $1200US each for 2 weeks, but we don't do a whole lot of shopping:
BTW if you have 10 of your 14 nights just in Tokyo will you get the benefit from a JR Pass??? If you arrive in Narita you may be better with a Suicas N'ex to start you off...
by fmj rate this post as useful

stuff 2009/2/17 06:45
I used to be a building technician designing homes etc. and like modern architecture but if you are on a budget you don't have to stay 10 nights in a great hotel (mind telling us the name?) also 10 days in Tokyo is a lot as Tokyo isn't the most beautiful town ever. Most of it was destroyed twice in the 20th century and, while it is a vibrant city, The Kansai area (Osaka, Kyoto Nara, etc.) is, culturally, the most important area of Japan with both modern architecture and lots and lots of historical buildings (all great modern architects learn everything they can about historical buildings then interpret ancient principles in their own modern language). If you stay in Tokyo then you don't need a JR pass. I would suggest that you stay a few days in Tokyo then go to the Kansai for a 7 days trip (7 days JR passthen back to Tokyo for a few days. "Tadao Ando was born in Osaka, japan, in 1941. By his early twenties, Ando had decided on a self-directed course of architectural study that took him throughout japan to visit
temples, shrines, and tea houses, to europe, africa and to the united states. he was studying architecture by going to see actual buildings, and reading books about works of architects such as le corbusier,
ludwig mies van der rohe, alvar aalto, frank lloyd wright, and louis kahn before returning to osaka at the age of 28 to open his own studio, tadao ando architect & associates.
tadao ando has been a visiting professor at tokyo university, yale, harvard, and columbia." I read once that he lived in his childhood home, an old house.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

JR pass and accomodations 2009/2/18 01:01
@ fmj:
We are not big spenders either. I think our only quirk was that particular hotel. We plan a lot of day trips. Out of 10 days in Tokyo in 5 we have planned day trips. I think less then 5 days for T is too little. I went to a site that tells you the cost of trips and according to that the pass would still be good for us.
Thank you

@Red frog:
A pleasure receiving an answer from a pro. The hotel is Prince Akasaka done by Kenzo Tange. I actually saw it in design and architecture magazines and that's when my heart was set on it.
I know Tokyo's history and am very much interested in the urban phenomenon that is this relatively newfaced metropolis. Both me and my friend are interested in history, culture and local traditions but probbably due to the problems we encounter here we are much more interested in the contemporary urban and architectural developement.
The quote about Tadao Ando made me happy cause I'm such a big fan of his.
I think the Kansay days will be a marathon to see some of his works( as far as I know he has quite a thew there.)
Thank you for your advice.
by Caja rate this post as useful

reply to this thread