Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotel Sadness 2009/2/17 14:48
Ok,

So I reserved a hotel about a month ago and today I ask to extended 2 extra days. The email I get back from the Ryokan canceled my reservations completely! They said I was unreliable??? I added 2 extra days!

I'm in serious help of finding a hotel for hopefully under 7,500. I'm planning on staying in Tokyo (Shibuya, Shinjuku) also a first timer to Japan. I'm also up for suggestion of other locations to stay that is pretty convenient for a first timer.

Please help :( April 1st-7th
by blackice01  

... 2009/2/17 15:12
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/17 15:13
So I reserved a hotel about a month ago and today I ask to extended 2 extra days. The email I get back from the Ryokan canceled my reservations completely! They said I was unreliable??? I added 2 extra days!

sounds like there's more to this story then you're telling.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

no 2009/2/17 15:20
No, there isn't much more to the story. I'm pretty chocked. Is Japan really that strict?
by blackice01 rate this post as useful

Cheap hotels 2009/2/17 15:56
blackice01,

I've never heard of a hotel cancelling a reservation simply because you want to extend your stay. I suspect either there was a misunderstanding between you and the hotel, or there is more to the story. Either way, if you are back at square one, I would second the suggestion above to look at the Toyoko Inn website first.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Oak Hotel 2009/2/17 18:03
You can try Oak Hotel in Ueno. I've booked their semi-double room (ensuite) at 7500 yen per night a few days after those dates you posted.

Ueno is a nice place to stay if you like peacefulness. I'm from Singapore and Ueno is a nice change of pace even in metropolitian Tokyo.
by chuyeow rate this post as useful

hmm 2009/2/18 00:22
I've checked most of the chains and a lot of everything but it seems that April 1st - 7th is a very popular time. Is there something special happening at this time???

I've had absolutely no luck!

Another question. I've seen some hotels with 'female' floors?

Will I be able to stay with my Japanese girlfriend in the same room?
by Me again (guest) rate this post as useful

hotels 2009/2/18 01:05
I have stayed at many different hotels in Japan and Toyoko inn has never let me down-They are inexpensive and convenient. This place: http://www.thehotel.co.jp/index_en.html Has convenient locations in Ueno (where I stayed) and Shinjuku. They are maybe $3-5 more per night than toyoko inn but worth it for much more luxury. the only drawback is that this one doesn't have as large of a selection for breakfast as Toyoko. Except for the more expensive places I've stayed,they always ask me to pay more to have my girlfriend stay. Usually it's not much, If I remember, Toyoko said 1000 (even for just a couple hours), but in some cases, I was able to sneak her in and get away with it. A lot of places will have cameras in the hallways, so gotta be tricky. As far as your other situation--if there's truly nothing more to the story, you have to just chalk that up to either a miscommunication or the mngmt. being flaky. Japan is not that strict for the most part.
by KC (guest) rate this post as useful

Hotels 2009/2/18 01:30
I've went through about 20-30 hotels this morning. I'm going to check that one you just posted. I've also emailed back about this miscommunication trying to fix this but had no luck either.

Maybe I can get her to enter my room after 5-10 minutes to avoid extra payment. I'm just looking for something close to JR or rails for easy access around Tokyo.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll keep looking.
by ME (guest) rate this post as useful

Found 2009/2/18 05:44
Well, not much luck but I finally got something with barely the rooms/days I need.... phew

http://www.sakura-hotel-ikebukuro.com/hotel_rates.php

Sakura Hotel, looks like a good location/price. Bit more privacy then a Ryokan too.

I was searching about for hot springs and found like a huge list. Anyone's input on hot springs too?
by ME AGAIN (guest) rate this post as useful

Problems 2009/2/18 07:54
So you are too cheap to get a double room and want to sneak your girlfriend in. Frankly I hope you get caught and have to sleep on the street. Foreigners are their own worst enemies pulling stunts like this in Japan. We just need enough fools to try it on and none of us will be able to book rooms on line. It just stuns me that you can afford to travel to another country but cannot find the price of a double room; unbelievable !
by RodW rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/18 08:18
Another question. I've seen some hotels with 'female' floors?

Will I be able to stay with my Japanese girlfriend in the same room?

Please do not ever try this. This "female floor" are for the sense of female guests, normally single-travellers, staying on that floor, so that they don't have to worry about noisy men talking loudly in the hallway late at night or banging on their door by mistake, etc., and not to be used by couples even. Those floors are normally closely watched by cameras, or on the same floor as the upper-level lobby so that staff can see everyone who goes into that area. In case it's a "capsule" hotel you are looking at, that's completely for gender separation, so another no-no.

Please get a double/twin room for the two of you.
by AK rate this post as useful

thx 2009/2/18 08:22
Yeah, I was just wondering about that floor. I just finally found a room with a double bed that will work for the week that I'm there.

So much to know before you take a trip to Japan. I've been studying the language for a while now and can speak pretty decent.
by me (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread