Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My itinerary, More time in Kyoto? 2009/2/18 03:10
Hi,

Sorry for another itinerary question but I thought I'd ask as people have been so helpful here :-)

I've created this itinerary for my holiday to Japan. My worry is that I wouldn't have enough time in Kyoto as it seems to offer a lot to see.

Should I leave out Hiroshima to have an extra day in Kyoto? The places that I like to visit in Kyoto are:

Nishi-Honganji Temple
Higashi-Honganji Temple
Sanjusangendo
Kiyomizu Temple
Kodaiji
Yasaka Shrine
Gion
Chion-in Temple
Heian Jingu
Nanzenji
Ginkakuji
Kinkakuji
Ryoanji
Imperial Palace
Nijo Castle
Toji Temple
Daitokuji Temple
Ninnaji Temple
Daigoji Temple
Kyoto Tower
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Kurama Onsen

These places seem good to visit on paper but should I leave out any to make better use of my short time there? I like to stress that I only put these places down because they look interesting. If people know better I'm happy to leave some out.

My itinerary...
Day 1 Arrive Tokyo. Take it easy as just arrived from abroad.
Day 2 Day in Tokyo. Sightseeing.
Day 3 Day to Nikko
Day 4 Day to Hakone to see Mt Fuji
Day 5 Day in Tokyo. Sightseeing.
Day 6 Day in Tokyo. Sightseeing.
Day 7 Travel by train to Kyoto in morning. Rest of day in Kyoto.
Day 8 Day in Kyoto. Sightseeing.
Day 9 Day to Nara
Day 10 Day to Iga-Ueno. I like to see the Ninja museum.
Day 11 Half Day to Hemji. Rest of day in Kyoto Sightseeing.
Day 12 Day in Kyoto. Sightseeing.
Day 13 Day in Hiroshima
Day 14 Get to Tokyo for flight back home

Any thoughts? I haven't booked my hotels yet as my itinerary will determine how long I would spend in Tokyo and Kyoto but it seems I need to make my mind up quickly!

Thanks for any help :-)
by Japan Visitor (guest)  

:) 2009/2/18 15:02
Usually try to keep to 4 locations in a day in kyoto.
Your list is pretty long and hard to do even in a 3 day period.

Nishi and higashi honganji can be safely left out in my opinion.

For one of the days you can do..
1st day arrive in Kyoto
Kyoto Tower Imperial palace (i think the tours only start at 3) Nijo

Next day
Ginkakuji Nanzenji Heian jingu Gion Kiyomizu Sanjusangendo

Half day
Fushimi Inari daigoji

Another full day
Early morning in Kurama onsen Daitokuji (by afternoon) Kinkakuji Ryoanji

I dont think you should skip Hiroshima.
As you might get all ''templed-out'' with your schedule, irregardless how much you like temples.
by nexa a2y rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/19 06:16
Thank you very much for breaking it down to do-able chunks, nexa a2y :-)

I was leaning towards spending an extra day in Kyoto until I read your suggestion on how I can best spend my time there.

Would it be beneficial spending that extra day in Kyoto (even if its to do a bit of shopping!)? If I don't and stick to my plan, it'll save me some money as I won't have the extra expense in hotel, food and other costs. I know its down to my preference but just wondered what you (or anyone else) thinks.
by Japan Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2009/2/19 07:23
I would definitely skip the Imperial palace as you aren't allowed to visit the formal rooms used by the Imperial family. Nijo is a much more interesting palace. don't stay one more day in Kyoto but do spend a few hours in the morning in Hiroshima Peace park then the rest of the day on Miyajima island.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

? 2009/2/20 04:36
Thanks, Red frog. I read that the Imperial Palace in Kyoto was better than the one in Tokyo and was worth a visit, hmmm.

I'll look into visitng Miyajima island as I've read a lot of comments about this place and it sounds interesting.
by Japan Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread