Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Oshiyas or Train Pushers 2009/2/21 08:33
I am visiting Tokyo this spring and I would love to see the train pushers at work, but I've read that they are kind of a thing of the past. Is that true?

If they are still doing their thing, where (which line/station) and what time would be the best oppurtunity to see them?
by mb2005  

... 2009/2/21 10:59
Platforms of busy stations in Tokyo are still filled by stations staff during the morning rush. Their primary task is to ensure fast and secure train arrivals and departures, which involves controlling smooth traffic flow on the platforms and seeing that doors can get closed. The latter occasionally still may involve some "polite pushing".

The Saikyo Line's passenger flows between Akabane and Shinjuku are always a spectacle during the morning rush hours. I recommend Akabane or Ikebukuro Station around 8:30 on weekdays. The following photo was made at Ikebukuro Station:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2020.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Crowded trains 2009/2/21 11:12
I second the Saikyo Line- in 11 years in Japan that is still the most crowded line I have ever been on in rush hour. Other trains can be sardine-like, but the Saikyo Line is something else.

If you are on the train you are unlikely to see the pushers, and all they do these days is really just to tuck in bits of people's bags or maybe their elbows- no wholesale shoving. If you are on the platform try not to get in the way- there will be a lot of people in a hurry there.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

night time train pushers 2009/2/21 21:05
A couple of yrs ago, we were heading back to our hotel from one of the main stns, it might have been Shibuya but I can't be sure and it was around midnight and unbeknown to us it was the last train on a Sat night and the train pushers were out !! They really pushed and we were a bit concerned about our 9 yr son so we had him between my wife and I but it was a real squeeze, fortunately my wife was able to laugh it off. Still it was a memorable experience.
by mthk (guest) rate this post as useful

"Uji" is my hero! 2009/2/25 07:18
Uji thank you so much!
I've been looking all over in the forums for my trip to japan this spring and i've decided that you must live on this site! :) Thank you so much for taking your time to help all of us noobs. Your answers are always detailed and informative - you've seriously helped me a ton!
by mb2005 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread