Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

If visiting for girl's day...a gift? 2009/3/1 16:09
We were invited to our cousin's home for girls day. He is related to me and she through marriage. The wife is Japanese, they have a daughter and so do we...what would be customary to bring as a gift to thier home?

Andre
by bluecha  

gift 2009/3/2 11:29
SWEETS
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/2 11:36
Sweets and a small gift (a plush toy, maybe?) for each girl.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/2 21:45
You don't bring gifts just because it's Girl's Day. You bring them just because you're visiting someone's home. Just bring whatever you'd bring when visiting someone.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Girls' Day gift 2009/3/3 03:37
You should bring gifts whenever you visit someone. In Japan, you don't visit empty handed. But it's also Girls Day.
I would bring one gift for the household like some gift package of food from a reputable department store (labels mean a lot in Japan) such as from Isetan, Mitsukoshi or Seibu for the whole family and another gift of sweets and/or toys for the girl (again with good wrapping label from famous department store).
By the way, is the girl 3 or 7. Those two ages are specially important on girls day. If they are 3 or 7 then there are all kinds of customs so be prepared. You may visit the shrine dressed appropirately for the elaborate ceremony. Boys only get the same treatment at age 5 on Boys day 5/5.

Chad
by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

thoughts 2009/3/3 11:25
I am a parent and I have to say I would be offended if guests spoil my child by bringing along "toys with good wrapping label from famous department store" unless it's for a birthday. But I would be too polite to tell that to the guest. If it's something worth less than a few hundred yen per child, I wouldn't mind, but I noticed it's difficult to find a toy as cheap as that in a famous department store. Btw, if the gift is too valuable, I would have to worry about sending a gift in return.

to uco 2009/3/5 05:12
are you japanese?

is it right that when visiting a japanese family as a gaijin, the japanese like it a lot when you give gifts that are something typical for you country (town)?
by Ninja (guest) rate this post as useful

To Uco about good gifts 2009/3/5 06:37
Many parents are so hung up on what people bring their children .. they act like they own the child. I have a friend here in the States who do not want anyone to bring sweets because it causes their children to become hyperactive. What's important is kimochi. If you take the effort to go to a nice departments store and get a good "Ochugen" style of gifts, it is the proper tradition. It does not matter if it spoils your child. That's up to the parents. "Okimochi" is most important.

I remember how my parents, even though they were gaijin, remembered to respect the Japanese to send "Ochugen" every year.

Chad

... 2009/3/5 08:43
it is the proper tradition. It does not matter if it spoils your child.

I don't quite agree... :) Taking the time and care to find something "suitable" (regardless of price or what reputable or unknown store it comes from), so that you do give something nice that the recipient likes, but you don't burden the recipient with the feeling of "ohhh, you shouldn't have" and burden them with the need to give something in return, is the good custom :) For a Girls' Day gettogether, I think some sweets that you can all share would be fine. Nothing fancy.
by AK rate this post as useful

To AK and Uco about gifts 2009/3/5 10:37
What is the matter with you guys? You think that famous department stores like Isetan, Mitsukoshi, Takashimaya and Seibu are out of your league? A gift package are about 1500-2000 yen. A package of sweets are about 500 yen.

In Japan, you never give gifts without wrapping it. I know here in US, people bring gifts "raw" but in Japan wrappings are so important. And do you know (if you live in Japan) the host never opens the present until the guest leaves? I wonder if you guys ever lived long enough in Japan.

Even here in US, do you bring gifts wrapped in WalMart's shopping bag?

Chad

. 2009/3/5 10:37
I am a parent, too, and I agree with Uco and AK. In order to show "kimochi", it shouldn't take toys with good wrapping label from famous department store. C'mon, it is just a girl's day get-together. It is over the top, isn't it!? And if you are respectful to other people, you respect the parents' wishes, no matter if you agree with it or not.

. 2009/3/5 10:38
Chad,

Uco, AK are Japanese. So am I.

My apology 2009/3/5 11:16
I apologize to Uco, AK and by. Maybe I got carried away and became an overwhelming Gaijin. Please accept my apology for being too "Commodore Perry" like!

Thanks for the input. I hope we can continue to have pleasant posts and even exchange ideas.

Sorry.

Chad

reply 2009/3/5 20:56
To Ninja,

Yes, that is correct. Isn't that the same in any country?

To Chad,

No problem.

reply to this thread