Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How risky? 2009/3/1 21:53
Hi, Im just wondering!! My friend is plannig to become a student in Apri. She knows that she can't work unless she gets the permission from the immigration. She thinks she can't survive without 3 months not getting a job...How risky is it if she is still working without the permission..... Do you know anything or anyone getting caught??

Will be much appreciated!
by Marilyn (guest)  

Risky? 2009/3/2 11:31
Risky?

Don't take a long lease on your apartment and be sure to get a short-stay return ticket.

In other words, too risky.
by Maureen (guest) rate this post as useful

Working in Japan with Student Visa 2009/3/2 16:13
Risky?

Yes.

How risky? Japan has a system similar to social security card in US. Most proper companies will not hire a person without this proper work card.

Some students can get permission to work within the college or campus after getting a permission from the Immigration. But my experience is that if you applied for the student visa, there is a question there that you promise not to work. So it in itself makes the application invalid. So that's risky too.
If you just work cleaning someone's house and get money in cash (which is almost always the case in japan) you might get away with it. But again it is illegal. Deportation is swift. I hear from my sister in japan there are frequent raids by Immigration officers on bars and other Mizu Shobai (water business) places and they round up illegal workers and deport them immediately.

So be very careful.

Chad
by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

.. 2009/3/2 16:35
- I believe that at the time of application for a student visa, the applicant needs to show that she/he has enough financial means to support oneself for the duration of the study (or one year).

- I don't agree with Chad about "promising not to work"; while student visa applicants need to show that they have enough financial means to support themselves, I don't think they make you sign papers saying you don't work, not even part-time - just showing that you don't have to rely on work in order to pursue your studies would be fine in terms of application.

- HOWEVER, finding some part-time work without the separate permission to work applied for and obtained is in violation of Immigration rules.

- Another thing: I don't think anyone would want to employ her because then the employer could be in trouble for hiring someone without permission to work. Or, if the employer knows that she is not entitled to work but nevertheless hires her, that means she would not be able to complain even if she did not get paid, etc., so... it's not going to make sense for her anyway.
by AK rate this post as useful

Not a good idea. 2009/3/2 22:37
Very risky. As others said, there are very very few employers who would break the law by hiring people illegally, and those that would must be very dishonest so are not to be trusted. The police do raid bars etc. where foreigners are known to work, frequently.

If your friend was caught working illegally she could face deportation and a 5-year ban on returning to Japan- not worth the risk at all. If she can't afford to live in Japan without breaking the law, she should save up until she can.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread