Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A few questions about Karaoke 2009/3/3 07:16
We will be in Tokyo in April and we really want to do some Karaoke, but i have a few questions:

1. I know most Karaoke places have private rooms, but since it's just my husband and I, we wanted to maybe join a group. Would it be totally weird for us to ask some random group if we could join them?

2. Do they have songs/lyrics in english?

3. How late do they usually stay open (we were thinking of going to one in Shibuya)?

4. Is the food available just snacks or could we get a meal?
by mb2005  

Well 2009/3/3 11:35
1. I think it would be pretty rude to invite along with a group of people you don't know. Especially if you don't speak the same language. You probably won't know the songs they are singing and it can get boring quickly. I wouldn't be too impressed if strangers tagged on to a night out with my friends. But I'm not really known as a kind gentleman, to put it lightly.

2. Yes, there are many English songs, enough variety to suit most tastes.

3. They are open until very late 5 or 6am. Some are even 24 hours.

4. They usually have food and drinks you can order.
by The man (guest) rate this post as useful

Some answers 2009/3/3 12:53
1. I wouldn't have the nerve, but maybe that's just me. A warning, though: if you're both brave enough to risk a group of worse-for-wear salarymen on an all nighter belting out the most horrible version of 10' long Japanese Enca, I take my hat off to you.

2. Yes, a very wide range in most places at least.

3. Depends on the place, but I've done evening to 7a.m in Tokyo.

4. Not sure. The last time I went with a bunch of said salarymen, I felt to sick to eat.
by Julian (guest) rate this post as useful

Karaoke 2009/3/3 13:05
1. Yes, it would be totally weird and you're going to draw more than your share of weird looks if you ask to join a group. To me, it seems like karaoke is for really small intimate group of friends, or people going as part of more formal groups like co-workers or clubs at university. Don't worry though, it's so fun to do karaoke with only your significant other!

2. Yes, especially in a place like Shibuya, you're going to have almost every song you could think of!

3. Yes, as others have said.

4. They have foods and snacks available but they're really overpriced and low in quality. (like what a movie theater would do).
by Jackson (guest) rate this post as useful

Karaoke Bar 2009/3/3 13:54
Why not try a karaoke BAR instead? You won't belong to a particular group, but at least you'll not entirely be just the two of you.

If you are lucky enough to find a decent one, and decent sized one (not just the pokey 10-seater variety) the atmosphere can be great. You'll not have to be shy about getting up in front of everyone to do your thing, though.

I don't know the area you plan to visit, so can't suggest options, but perhaps other people here can help you out.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Karaoke Bar 2009/3/3 16:46
Thanks for everyones' help!

Going to a Karaoke bar would be ideal but i got the impression that there aren't very many. Does anyone know of a good one in Shibuya?
by mb2005 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread