Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

edicational requirements 2009/3/5 00:18
Are there any edicational requirements for moving to japan?
by Robert7  

??? 2009/3/5 10:11
Can you be more specific?
how old are you?
what do you want to do in japan?
on what kind of visa do you intend to come to japan???
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

Since you say moving... 2009/3/5 10:25
If you want to just come to visit at a tourist, no.
If you want to come study, for example at a university in Japan, of course you need to have completed your high school studies (plus some language study).
If you want to work and live in Japan, yes - there are some requirements either for a bachelor's degree, or several/many years of relevant work experience, to be eligible for a work-permitting visa (immigration requirement). Without those no employer can sponsor you for a visa.
by AK rate this post as useful

re 2009/3/5 10:50
Well if that is the case then how would for example someone who wishes to come over with only a high school diploma to study be able to support there self since they do not have a bachelors or work experience to meet the qualifications to get a work visa to get a job? as far as age why should that matter how old the person is ?
by Guest22 (guest) rate this post as useful

Makes sense to me 2009/3/5 11:46
Countries can put whatever restrictions they like on who can come and study or work there, and age is usually one of them, for various reasons. People on student visas can apply to Japan Immigration for permission to work, and if an employer will hire them then they can work. Obviously no-one expects a high school graduate to have a degree- they usually find work tutoring English or in restaurants.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/5 12:12
Well if that is the case then how would for example someone who wishes to come over with only a high school diploma to study be able to support there self since they do not have a bachelors or work experience to meet the qualifications to get a work visa to get a job?

They don't. Students are required to show they either have enough money saved up to last their stay in Japan, or have someone else who is supporting their studies and living costs. Basically they require that students have the means to study and live without working.

The work visa, on the other hand, is to allow entry to qualified workers who can provide a marketable service. Since without the educational or work experience requirements you can't provide the marketable service and aren't qualified for a job, and therefore not qualified for a work visa.

as far as age why should that matter how old the person is ?

Because you have to be a legal adult to live independently. Otherwise you would need some sort of guardian to look after you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

re 2009/3/6 01:28
So in other words a person would have to have a bachelors degree or money saved up or a lot of work references to prove that they can push a BROOM!
Sorry I understand some jobs need some higher education such as being a doctor or lawyer but a job that any 5 year old can do those restrictions seem quite unfair to me and lets face japan is just like any other country that have simple jobs that and 5 year old kid can do! Hmm I wonder if I have to have a degree to prove I can wipe my A**! there to.
by guest22 (guest) rate this post as useful

Why would they hire you to push a broom? 2009/3/6 03:54
guest22 why would any company in Japan (or ANY other country for that matter) go through the visa process to hire someone for non-skilled labour? Even if you are already there on a student visa, why would a company hire a foreigner over a local?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Guest22 2009/3/6 06:25
Guest22, why would countries want a massive influx of non-skilled workers to come in and cause other massive social problems? You'd see an increase in low-income/poor families, decreased job opportunities for Japanese people, more people to drain limited government resources among other consequences.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Not for pushing a broom... 2009/3/6 08:15
As above, guest22, Japan does not give visas to foreigners so they can push brooms- all working visa categories here are for occupations that require some education or experience- professionals in fields like IT or finance, highly skilled workers like trained chefs, or jobs that Japanese people cannot usually do, i.e. native English speaker conversation teacher. There is no working visa category that will allow you to become a cleaner- as above, why would Japan import people to do that kind of job? It would make no sense at all.

Sure Japan has simple jobs, and usually Japanese people do them. Unless a foreigner is married to a Japanese national or has Japanese ancestry, they cannot get a job here pushing a broom or similar. What makes you think that these educational requirements are for menial jobs? A look at the Japanese government visa site will tell you that they aren't.

Can I ask why you seem so upset about Japan's visa requirements in particular? All developed countries set certain requirements for work permits etc- the US, Canada, Australia, NZ, the EU, and some of them are quite strict. It's unlikely I meet the requirements to migrate to the US, for example, as I do not have skills that are in demand there.

If you want to come to Japan but do not yet meet the requirements, then go out and get yourself the required qualifications- that's what I did.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread