Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can I find Sponsors? 2009/3/5 07:03
I am 20 (21 in may) and for sometime have been looking to study Japanese in Japan.

A Recent attempt contacting the Sasakawa foundation got me "but other than finding corporate sponsorship" in a reply.

The representative was sure I could find sponsorship and/or a "no japanese required" job to fund studies in a Japanese language school. He how so ever could not offer any advice on finding either of these.

I am asking if anyone may be able to offer help on where to look for the sponsorship.

A Job near a language school requiring no japanese ability sounds a bit like looking for a needle in a hay stack to me.

After 2 years of "you do not fit the criteria" in reply to scholarships, and paying more to live at home then I can earn I am up for almost anything. I wish to become a translator/interpreter eventually, and have found information on a place that does the necessary course already.

Can anybody offer advice on where to look please?
by bakadono  

Why not just save? 2009/3/5 11:49
Most people who come here to study work until they have saved enough money to be able to afford it. Then you can work part time once you have been here a while on a student visa, and it isn't as hard to find work teaching English etc. as you might think. Is there any reason you can't save the money now? I had to save for a while before I came to Japan- scholarships are very few and usually given on academic merit. Most people do it using their own hard-earned money.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/5 12:27
What exactly are you looking for? A visa sponsor for study or work?

The language school that you mention you found should be able to sponsor a student visa for you. But I am not sure whether you understand the working situation while studying in Japan. Are you aware that working is very limited while on a student visa? You can only start working a month or so after entering, and need permission from your school and immigration. You must have good attendance in your classes, and are limited to working something like 20 hours a week.

If you don't have the funds to support yourself before entering Japan, or someone else supporting your studies, it is likely that you won't be able to survive, let alone afford classes, on that kind of income.

If you are looking for a work visa sponsor then that is another story. Despite the huge changes in the eikaiwa market, there are still jobs available for english teachers. How you would balance a full time job and school, however, is a different problem, as I believe that you need to have a full time job to qualify for the work visa.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Study. 2009/3/5 21:38
Although I have found many pages suggesting "English-Native" as the only requirement language wise I would feel very uneasy without something to back me up language wise.

The school I have found does sponsor the visa. It is Naganuma in Tokyo. The Sasakawa Foundation rep was pretty sure there are organizations that will sponsor studies. I got the they are similar in rules to the new apprenticeship system in UK where you must work with them for a while (usually 1 or 2 years) n conclusion of studies. Nowhere would sponsor someone with no return of allocated funds anyway.
by bakadono rate this post as useful

reply to this thread