Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Internet access w/ US laptop 2009/3/8 12:05
I'm planning to visit Japan for a couple of weeks. I want to bring my US laptop there, but how do I get the internet access? I'm going to home stay in Japan. My host family doesn't have PC at home. No internet cafe near by...
by Carl (guest)  

No internet cafe? 2009/3/8 17:16
No internet cafe near by?? What city are you staying in?
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

wireless 2009/3/9 06:51
Well depending on where you're staying, and how old your laptop is, you can try to get internet wirelessly. I'm sure wherever your staying, there's an open wireless signal somewhere. (unless you live way out of the city) Also like Kevin asked, how far are you to not have a internet cafe near by?
by aru (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/9 10:09
Internet cafes are not as ubiquitous in Japan as you may expect them to be. The most convenient one where I live is a good 20 minute drive from my home, and I live only an hour outside of Tokyo.

Carl,
I'd recommend renting a cellular based wireless card (either usb or pcmcia) when you arrive at the airport. Its not terribly expensive and is much more convenient than trekking out to an internet cafe every time you want to check your email.

Here's a list of companies available at Narita Airport:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

try the library 2009/3/11 14:33
you could try the local library. you may have to provide your own LAN cable to connect. some websites may be blocked and they probably won`t like you talking on skype.
by library user (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread