Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Apply for Visa 2009/3/9 17:48
I'm about to apply for language school 6 months before the first semester starts.
I was told by school that they are going to apply for me for COE (certificate of Eligibility).
I read here on the forum that it may take two weeks up to three months until they issue the COE.
I've also heard it (the COE) expires after three months.
My question is this:
How long before I enter Japan can I apply for visa (so that the COE won't expire, in case they will issue it fast)?
I have never applied for any type of visa, so I would like to know whether I can choose the date when to activate the visa (the date the visa starts).

I will much appreciate your help.
by Riera (guest)  

... 2009/3/9 20:21
I can give You an example of my school. First lesson start in October and I have to send all documents to apply for visa up to May 20 (about 4,5 months before). Probably it is depend on school You are going to. Also all information should be on the school WWW.
by nfs rate this post as useful

hmm 2009/3/10 03:32
I think you're a little unclear on how things work as far as applying for visas.

The way it usually works is this. You apply for the school first. Once you're accepted, they issue you a COE in the time frame like you said. Now, after you receive your COE, you immediately apply for your student visa in the Japanese Consulate to the nearest office of where you live. (LA maybe?) After you fill out the visa application, you send in your passport, your COE and a copy, and the actual form. After doing so, you should get your visa in a matter of days, a week at the latest.

If you try to apply for a student visa without the COE, it will take months so apply once you get your COE.

Sorry if I seem a bit sketchy but I'm pretty sure this is how the process works for the most part.
by aru (guest) rate this post as useful

expiration 2009/3/10 03:43
I forgot to actually answer your question. As far as expiration goes, I really don't think the school will issue you a COE in time so that it expires. Like in my case, my school barely sent my COE and is in the mail now. And my school starts in April. Hopefully it'll be the same for you.
by aru (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/10 04:59
aru
Thanks for explanation. You are right. All the school job in visa procedure is COE. After this I have to apply for visa with all other required documents.
by nfs rate this post as useful

still don't understand 2009/3/10 15:10
Thank you aru for your explanations.
I know the process is like that, but what I wanted to know is whether I can apply for the visa three months (or more) in advance after receiving COE without it to expire or something like that. Can I decide when I want the visa to start being active?
by Riera (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread