Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sequence of site visit in Kyoto 2009/3/12 00:23
Dear Uji,

Will be covering the following areas in sequence by Bus 100:
Kiyomizu
Yasaka Shrine
Kinkakuji

Then walk from Kinkakujialong the Philosoper Path to Nanzenji

From Nazeji take Bus 5 to Higashi-Tenno-cho. Change to Bus 100 back to Hakubutsukan Sanjusangendo-mae.

1) Is this the best sequence?
2) the buses are covered by Kansai thru pass right?
3) read somewhere the kinkakuji is under going some reno?

Separately, does the kansai thru pass covers up to Yoshinoyama. A check on the pdf version 2006 shows thatit terminates at Tsubosakayama.

Thanks very much.
by Usagi (guest)  

... 2009/3/12 08:20
I think you confuse Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) with Ginkakuji (Silver Pavilion).

Ginkakuji is the temple at the end of the Philosopher's Trail and is currenty being renovated. Kinkakuji is at the other side of the city and would not fit as well into your schedule.

So, I am going to assume that you are referring to Ginkakuji.

As for your sequence, if you are a good walker, it is possible to walk all the way from Kiyomizudera to Ginkakuji. Then, you could catch bus 100 back from there.

If you don't want to walk that much, I still recommend to walk from Kiyomizudera to Yasaka Shrine and then catch a bus to Ginkakuji.

2) the buses are covered by Kansai thru pass right?

Yes.

Separately, does the kansai thru pass covers up to Yoshinoyama. A check on the pdf version 2006 shows thatit terminates at Tsubosakayama.

While the Surutto Kansai Prepaid Card seems to be valid all the way to Yoshino Station, the Kansai Thru Pass is only valid as far as Tsubosakayama, according to the map on the official website:
http://www.surutto.com/conts/ticket/3dayeng/images/en_m...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Sequence of site visit in Kyoto 2009/3/12 09:23
Thanks Uji. yes, I meant Ginkakuji. If I were to walk, how long will that take? Are there things to see/shops along this stretch?

The plan is to cover all these places and then from Kyoto station, take a train to Nijo Castle by 3pm. can still make it?
by usagi (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/12 19:37
If I were to walk, how long will that take?

The distance is about 6 kilometers or about 1.5 hours of walking without stops. There are lots of temples, shrines and shops along the way. So, you can easily fill half a day or a whole day with the walk alone.

The plan is to cover all these places and then from Kyoto station, take a train to Nijo Castle by 3pm. can still make it?

I recommend at least 6 hours for the walk to be done at a medium pace. So, if you start early in the morning and proceed at a medium to fast pace, I think it is possible, but tiring.

From Ginkakuji, I recommend to travel directly to Nijo Palace, rather than via Kyoto Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Sequence of site visit in Kyoto 2009/3/13 09:19
Thanks very much Uji for your advice.

looks like an exciting day. :)
by usagi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread