Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What's good for Japanese employers? 2009/3/16 02:56
Hello,

I'm British and I'll be studying in a university which is in Akita for 4 years to get a BA.(all courses taught in english, except japanese language;))

I want to work in the business/economics sector of Japan after I graduate.

What should I be doing now to make it easier for me to get a job after I graduate in Japan?

I don't want to have to go back to UK after I graduate. So I am willing to do everything it takes to get a good job in Japan after graduation.

What types of things should I be doing now/before graduation?

EG. getting japanese language proficiency certificates? work experience?

Please suggest anything you believe is good+ desirable for me to have on my resume/CV. Remember I have 4 years until graduation so I think I can do many things within that time

Thank you!
by TonyD (guest)  

. 2009/3/16 11:11
There are plenty of similar threads on this topic. As people will tell you, you will have to supply a skill or qualification that a Japanese person won't have. You need to give the employer a reason to employee you over a local Japanese person.
Your first thing is the language. Get fluent and aim for level 1 of the JLPT. Depending on the job and company, but being able to cummunicate at at least this level is pretty much essential.
There are jobs in finance (and other sectors) that require no Japanese but it will deifnitely worth your while to study it.

You still have your 4 years so there is a lot of time to work out what you want to do. There are always English teaching jobs that you can pretty much get anywhere which you could do while you look for a job that you would rather do.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

jobs 2009/3/16 12:47
Ironically what might be good for a Japanese employer is your knowledge of the English language and culture, of English business practices etc. That would give you an edge over Japanese employees. I live in Canada and some immigrants there have found lucrative jobs in Canadian businesses that deal with their mother countries.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread