Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Difference between Tokui/Jyouzu 2009/3/16 17:12
Can somebody tell me the difference between Jyouzu and Tokui and when and when not should be used? Also I'm assuming that Heta and Nigate are different in the same way that Jyouzu and Tokui are different?
by Shitsumon (guest)  

One way to look at it 2009/3/17 06:45
Those are at times used interchangeably. But "jyouzu" (or "jouzu") is objectively "good at, excels at" something, whereas "tokui" is more subjectively "feel confident/comfortable with" something ("tokui" when used in a verb phrase even means to be proud, excessively to be somewhat boastful).

So if you watch someone, for example, playing tennis and wants to give compliments, then you say:
- Jouzu desu ne.

Also, "heta" is "not good at, bad at," and "nigate" is "don't feel comfortable/confident with (thus not good at it)."
by AK rate this post as useful

`Question` 2009/4/29 19:30
I was taught that "jouzu" cannot be used when referring to the speaker, him or herself. Is that true?

So when being asked "nani ga jouzu desu ka", should the reply be "` ga jouzu desu" or "` ga tokui desu"?
by tuby (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/4/29 19:37
tuby,
Well, since "jouzu" is "(objectively) good at (something)," if you said that about yourself, that is like praising yourself, if you know what I mean :)
by AK rate this post as useful

arigatou 2009/4/29 20:13
Wakarimashita. Thanks! ^^
by tuby (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread