Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Just a few quick food questions 2009/3/17 03:24
I love to try new foods so I will be experimenting alot while in japan. I have done a fair amount of research but just wanted to ask on these.

What is proper ettiquet for if I dislike the taste of something? I would not want to offend anyone.
Should my hotels be able to provide me with information about local resturaunts? Like a magazine guide or something similar?
I can speak very basic Japanese but I cannot read at all, I know there are few places that provide english menus, do you have any tips for ordering here?

If I think of any more I'll be sure to ask, you all have been very helpful. I leave this Thursday and am very excited!
by mephesta  

Food 2009/3/19 09:58
Proper etiquette if you dislike the taste of something doesn't vary much between countries I believe. You certainly don't spit it out in front of other people, and if you are at someone's house you eat as much of it as you possibly can while smiling as much as you possibly can.

If you are at a restaurant eating by yourself then just leave it- no one will be offended.

It is generally expected in Japan that foreigners won't like the taste of a lot of Japanese food so you wouldn't be surprising anybody, just be as polite as you can in the same way you would in your own country.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

About ordering 2009/3/20 04:07
In some restaurants there are menus with pictures or plastic food. You can point at the food you would like to have, and I think it's ok. Also subtly pointing at other people's direction could yield the results you wish, though the last way might not be the nicest way to order food but then again you gotta eat sometimes.

Also if you go to izakayas, you could ask the chef to bring food made of something (fish, vegs, pork etc.). You don't know what you'll get, but most likely it will be good.
by kaapelikala rate this post as useful

reply to this thread