Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

obtaining visa to teach private 2009/3/17 17:04
I have found two websites that are a database for private tutors in Japan.

http://www.findateacher.net/

http://121sensei.com/

These sites allow one to post a profile to teach as a private tutor. I would like to do this. I live in the USA and I have a four year degree ( a bachelor of science degree in Computer Programming). But I know I need a work visa to do this legally. This website reports that, "A job offer in Japan is required to successfully apply for most types of working visas". So how can I get a visa to teach privately when a private teacher is basically self employed??? This website also states in another place: "It is possible to change your status of residence (e.g. from temporary visitor to instructor or from student to engineer) at an immigration bureau inside Japan." So based on this information I should be able to come to Japan as a temporary visitor, create a profile on one of the above mentioned websites, begin teaching private students and then get a work visa while in Japan?
by Joseph (guest)  

No can do 2009/3/17 17:33
Joseph,

The short answer is that you can't. You need a sponsor (i.e. employer) to get a working visa.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

No?? Then why.... 2009/3/17 18:30
Then why does this website say, ''It is possible to change your status of residence (e.g. from temporary visitor to instructor or from student to engineer) at an immigration bureau inside Japan''???
by Joseph (guest) rate this post as useful

Changing visas 2009/3/17 18:44
Joseph,

Then why does this website say, ''It is possible to change your status of residence (e.g. from temporary visitor to instructor or from student to engineer) at an immigration bureau inside Japan''???

Because it is perfectly possible to switch from a temporary (or student etc.) visa to a working visa provided you have an employer lined up to sponsor you. I thought you were asking about a visa for self-employed or freelance teaching work, for which there is no visa category.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/3/17 21:13
As mentioned, you need a sponsor, eg an employer in Japan, not self employed.

Most people private "teach" for side money, maybe back in the 80s when the economy was booming people could make a living, but these days you're lucky to afford coffee on private students a lone.

You can't self sponsor yourself with just private students.

The people who do private students are people who already have valid visas (eg they have other jobs, they are spouses, they are students with work permission) doing it for extra pocket change. Which is what it is really good for, pocket and supplementary income. Like I said its virtually impossible these days to make a living on it alone.As mentioned, you need a sponsor, eg an employer in Japan, not self employed.

Most people private "teach" for side money, maybe back in the 80s when the economy was booming people could make a living, but these days you're lucky to afford coffee on private students a lone.

You can't self sponsor yourself with just private students.

As for their website, as mentioned, it means if you get a real job with a real company sponsor in Japan you can change it in Japan. But you can't get a private teaching visa, it is non existent.
by ExpressTrain rate this post as useful

need employer and guaranteed income 2009/3/17 21:18
Joseph, it is possible to switch to an Instructor visa etc inside Japan, *provided you meet the criteria for that visa*, one of which is to have an employer sponsor you. You must have guaranteed employment with a guaranteed income of a certain level (at least 180,000 seems to be the rule of thumb) in order for Immigration to grant you the visa.

Obviously that would not be the case with only private students. From personal experience I know it takes a lot of time and effort to build up a base of private students that will give you even half of Immigration's required salary, let alone the whole of it.

Once you are here with the visa, you can either teach privates on the side or at some point quit your job and teach all privates, but you would then have to prove your income level to Immigration when the time came to renew your visa.

In a nutshell, Dave in Saitama is correct. Teaching privates obnly from the word go does not qualify you for a working visa in the eyes of Japan Immigration.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread