Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Baseball for dummies... 2009/3/18 23:27
Excuse my ignorance of all baseball but how long does a typical Japanese baseball game last?

Looking at the fixtures, the same teams seem to play each other on three consecutive days. Is this a best of three arrangement? And if so, is the third night a bit of a dull affair if itfs already 2-0?

And if I was going to see a game in Tokyo between the Giants and Hiroshima Carp for the opening fixture/s of the season could I expect a big crowd and a good atmosphere at the Tokyo Dome? Oh and which fans would be most fun to sit with? I read that Carp fans are erabidf but do fans travel to away games in Japan? In England, travelling to see your football team play eawayf in another town or city is far more fun than a home fixture!

Thanks
by phil (guest)  

hanshin = craziness 2009/3/19 10:43
Excuse my ignorance of all baseball but how long does a typical Japanese baseball game last?
i would expect to be there about 2 hrs

Looking at the fixtures, the same teams seem to play each other on three consecutive days. Is this a best of three arrangement?

no. the baseball season is long (90 games?) it`s easier on the teams if they can play several games at one place and not travel every day.

And if so, is the third night a bit of a dull affair if itfs already 2-0?

it depends. if the teams are of a similar level, the 3rd game can be good. if one team is much better, all the games will be painful to watch.

I read that Carp fans are erabidf but do fans travel to away games in Japan?

if you want rabid fans, go to a hanshin tigers game and sit in the outfield. don`t sit too near the drums though.
by not an expert (guest) rate this post as useful

Baseball 2009/3/19 11:49

A typical baseball game in my experience lasts between two and three hours but usually around 2.5 hrs.

Looking at the fixtures, the same teams seem to play each other on three consecutive days. Is this a best of three arrangement? And if so, is the third night a bit of a dull affair if itfs already 2-0?

The teams play three game series against each other only because of the nature of the game. It's not as physically demanding (in the short-term) as other sports like football. Since a season is 144 games long, it's just necessary schedule-wise and to save on travel costs. Each series is not a best of three arrangement, the only numbers that matter are the standings at the end of the season. Therefore, the first game should ideally be as good as any other...

Finally, I can't speak for Hiroshima fans exactly but a lot of fans are really into it and singing during most of the game. I've never had the chance to watch football in England myself but from what I've seen on TV, it must be a somewhat similar environment although there probably isn't as much alcohol involved haha.

Either way, it's a fantastic event and I'm sure you'll enjoy it even if you don't understand the rules 100%.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread