Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing Pets Into Japan 2009/3/19 15:48
I know that Japan has a 6 month quarantine. I'm bringing my dog in from Hong Kong. She had one rabies shot last year which lasts for three years. She will get her second shot, parasite treatment, blood drawn for lab tests and 5 in 1 Bortadella Booster as well and stay in Hong kong for 6 months. The pet company said at that time she can enter Japan. I always thought she would have to stay in a quarantine facility so I'm happy she can come in after these procedures. Can anyone verify this procedure ?
by frank65  

bringing a dog into Japan 2009/3/19 17:51
Your BEST source of information is the Japan Animal Quarantine Service, which is official and has the detailed procedure on how to bring a pet...
their website is here:
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/index.html

There is advance notification required, and as for quarantine, this is what it says:
"If you have a certificate for the animal issued by the responsible government agency of the country of export containing necessary information such as the microchip number for individual identification, dates of rabies vaccinations and rabies antibody levels as well as stating that the animal underwent 180 days wait in the country of export, the quarantine period will be completed within12 hours. In all other cases the quarantine period will be up to 180 days."

It sounds like that's what you're doing but I would totally double-check.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

Bringing Pets Into Japan 2009/3/19 17:54
Thank you very much for your help.
by frank65 rate this post as useful

Two dogs from Malaysia 2009/5/3 21:36
I successfully brought my two of my dogs in to Tokyo from Malaysia, without any quarantine. I did everything they requested, and if you filled in every single information on the form, there should not be any problem. Do not leave out any blanks at all, because when I left the birth date blank, I got into a little bit of a trouble. However, before your dog/s depart from the country, you can fax the forms/documents to be checked. They will let you know if you have any incompleted informations.
by Khye rate this post as useful

pet relocation 2009/5/3 22:44
You might want to talk to one of the pet relocation companies operating in Hong Kong. Your vet can probably recommend one to you.
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes. 2009/5/4 23:12
My dog joined me in Tokyo from the USA in November 2008 to January 2009. She cleared her 6 month quarantine and we went right home from the airport after a short inspection period where they verified the paperwork and checked her microchip.

You can do a search for my other pet thread on here and get some more details.
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

Bringing Dog to Yokosuka 2009/5/9 20:56
I have a hard decision regarding bringing my dog to Yokosuka. I understand about the quarantine but this is about quality of life for pets in Yokosuka.
How hard is it to get an apartment where dogs are allowed? Are there parks/areas where dogs can be off leash to play? Are there dog walking/sitting services when you can't be with your pet and don't want them to be home alone for all day or overnight? Finally, how to get your dog to the vet? Trains? My dog is great and does well in my apartment and is the right size and temperament for Japan but loves people and exercise. I don't want her to be locked in a tiny apartment and to only see me for an hour each day. Is it realistic to get her to a yard/park to play and when I leave town for a couple nights what should I do? I want to bring her but not if she will be better off with another family. I'd appreciate any input I can get on this. Have to decide soon. I'm leaving Italy in September and would need to make arrangements if she doesn't come with me. Thank you.
by chenry rate this post as useful

dog to Yokosuka 2009/5/9 22:31

If you are military I have a lot more information for you as there are many services offered on the base in Yokosuka.

As general info, small dogs are babied and loved in Japan. well, big dogs too, though you see fewer.

I can't answer the question about getting an apartment but I see people walking their dogs all over the place. There are cafes that allow you to bring dogs, and the beach at Hayama - I think - which is not too far from Yokosuka, allows dogs off-leash during the winter months I believe. I have once seen a small dog in a carrier on a train but I think that was someone sneaking the dog on. To take their dogs to the vet people drive. There are about a gazillion animal hospitals and many options for boarding. I don't know about pet-sitting.

Again, let us know if you are military, I can tell you what's available on base.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

we're in the same boat 2009/7/3 02:04
I've also had a hard time discerning exactly how things are meant to work out with pet importation. I am military, moving to Yokosuka so to the previous poster, please help. My cats are arriving separately and a week earlier than my husband and I. Their quarantine wait is over so as far as I can tell they just need to do an import exam at the MVTF. My question now is: after they pass the exam, can they be released to my brother who is a civilian? or are they required to go to military base housing and be kenneled if we aren't there yet?
by Denise (guest) rate this post as useful

DOD CIVILIAN OR MILITARY w/ Pets 2009/7/6 21:13
I just recently moved back to Japan for the second time. This time I brought my two dogs (weigh about 17 pds each). First let me tell you, I started the whole process of getting them ready 8 months in advance. I wanted to do everything possible to avoid quarantining them. My husband is a DOD civilian, so we did not have access to the military facilities back in the states. If you do, the process should be a little easier on you because you will be working with your local military vet back in the U.S. They gusuallyh know the proper procedure to export dogs to Japan, but they too can make mistakes along the way that could end up costing you. I looked at several sites online to make sure I had the right information on what needed to be done. Please be advised that some sites on the internet are not updated with the correct information. This is probably the best site to visit with the most up to date info: http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/im_index.html Make sure you read everything carefully and do it in the proper order (ex – microchip prior to rabies shot). It is a lot to sort through, so make sure you read it over and over again or have your spouse read through everything to make sure you didnft miss anything. One little mistake could mean g6 months quarantine.h Even if you do everything right, someone else could make a mistake and cost your dog or cat to be quarantined. This is exactly what happened to us. If you are not military, then you will need to get all your documents stamped by the USDA. I believe there is only one per state, so you may have a drive to get this done. We lived about an hour and a half from the nearest USDA, so it wasnft too bad. But let me tell youcwhen you are getting ready to move overseas, it really is a pain to go and get this done. Well, the USDA person did not stamp every page of our documents, so our dogs got gquarantined.h So, make sure every page is stamped with the raised seal before you leave the USDA office. EVERY page - not just the page where is says to stamp with the raised seal. It cost us a little over $100 to get our documents stamped. Again, if you work with a military vet, you wonft have to worry about this. Expect to pay about $1000 per dog to get them over here. It all adds up with all your vet visits, cost to fly your pet here, and dog boarding once you finally make it. Microchipping can cost anywhere from $25 - $60 on average. Rabies vaccination costs vary greatly, but we paid about $65 per dog. This included all their other shots too. This was at a low cost clinic, so most people can expect to pay quite a bit more through a civilian veterinarian. Remember, you have to get two rabies shots, so youfll have to schedule two vet visits just for their rabies shot. The rabies titer cost about $150 per dog. The health certificate and pet exam prior to departure cost about $150 per dog. Crate costs vary by size. The time you fly can also be a thorn in your side. Once temperatures reach over 85 degrees, airlines can refuse to transport your pets in the cargo area. So, if you have a big dog, try not to travel during the summer months. It cost us $200 per dog to fly ours over here (with UNITED – more for large breeds). Call your airline to make sure you have the proper crate for pet travel. Once you get here, on base kennels run about $16 - $20 per day / per dog. Pets are not allowed in base lodging, so unless you know someone, they will have to be in a kennel. I donft recommend the kennel at all. Try to find someone to watch your dog. We posted an ad on www.yokosuka4sale.com and offered to pay someone $150 per week to watch our dogs. It may seem like a lot, but it was cheaper than the kennel. Plus, the dogs were much better off to be outta puppy prison. If your pet is quarantined, you will need someone who lives on base, and has either a townhome or single family home. If you have family in the states, you may want to consider leaving your pet for a short period of time until you find a home. Then, once you are all settled in, have Grandma, Grandpa, Uncle Joe, or your best friend fly your beloved pet over. You will be far less stressed and so will your pet. Unfortunately, we didnft have any family member that could do this. The Japanese are very meticulous. I felt as though they were just looking for ganythingh wrong. It was an all or nothing deal. If they find something wrong, g6 monthsh or until it is fixed. Moving overseas is very stressful, but you can multiply your stress level if you plan on bringing your pet over. It felt like someone punched me in the gut from all the stress this whole process caused me. I thought at the beginning of this whole process, gHey, as long as I do everything that Ifm supposed to, everything will be fine.h Well, that is not the case, because you put your life in other peoplefs hands and they can make an error for you. Ifm glad the whole thing is almost over with. We are still working out the kinks with the quarantine thing, but it should be resolved soon. Good luck to anyone out there that may be getting ready to embark on this journey! Hope this long post helps someone out there!
by Goagirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Quality of life for dogs on YOKOSUKA 2009/7/6 21:30
I can't speak for other bases, but in Yokosuka, we were able to find the perfect home for us in about two weeks. We have two small rat terriers. Your options are limited, but with some time and patients, you can find a good home for you and your pet. We found a house we liked on our first day house hunting but we didn't want to settle right away. Ifm glad we waited because we were able to get everything we wanted on our check off list! We managed to get a house with a good size yard and a small sun room. You will more than likely have to pay an extra security deposit, so be prepared for this. There are lots of parks all over the place to walk your dog. Yokosuka Base has a small dog park near the kennel. It's not maintained, so the grass is really long in there. It would be nice if they added a bench inside, but hey, Ifm was just happy that my dogs could run free after being locked up in the kennel for several days after we got here!
by Goagirl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread