Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Obtaining money at ICU 2009/3/21 04:27
Hi everyone,
I am a senior in High School, and have recently been accepted into International Christian University. Of course, this school is located in Japan. The only problem is that I need money. I tried getting a student loan from Sallie Mae, but as of last year, ICU no longer accepts FAFSA student loans. I have tried for about 2 weeks for other methods to find money. Do you guys know any websites that can help me earn the money I need to attend the ICU? I'm very determined to get the money. Please, I beg you, please help me. Everyday I spend sit down and think for hours of way to earn money. Sadly, I can't get a job. And believe me I have tried. Last summer I applied to 12 different places, and none of them hired me. I don't want to give up on this school, since it's my dream school. If any of you guys go to ICU or know someone who goes to ICU, could you tell me how you were able to afford it? I know I am asking for a lot, but I'm running out of ideas. I will stay positive and keep trying though. ^-^

Thank you very much.

PS: If this helps, I am very good at Japanese. I'm not fluent, but I can easily get around Japan without much trouble.
by Jordan91  

.. 2009/3/21 10:29
Try for jobs at Mcdonalds, starbucks, local grocery store, jobs that don't look nice but pay.

How about your parents?
The only other way is taking out a bank loan.
by ExpressTrain rate this post as useful

A bit too late for a job 2009/3/21 10:39
Yeah, a job would have been helpful if I was hired last summer, but now I:m at the point where a job won't do too much. My parents want me to go as well, but they don't know where to begin with getting money, since they are in a small financial problem. Are bank loans the same as student loans? Because if that's the case, I don't think it will work.
by Jordan91 rate this post as useful

.. 2009/3/21 10:47
Bank Loans and Student loans are the only way to go at the moment. Unless you win the lottery.

You should still get a job anyways, as it will help to at least pay for small things right now.

saving is about the only way 2009/3/21 16:54
Jordan, Tokyo is an expensive place to live, particularly in the setting up stages. I'm afraid that there is really no reliable way to get money out of nowhere quickly, and that you might have to look at postponing your studies here until you do have enough money. If you were unable to get a job in your home country (not even fast food, convenience store, supermarket?), how will you pay for your living expenses once here? Can I ask if you have a disability that prevents you doing that kind of job?

I had to save before I came to Japan, and I worked a solid year at a boring job in order to pay for it myself too. There is no such thing as a free lunch I am afraid.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/21 23:28
I don't have a disability. I'm a healthy 17 year old boy. I suppose I will try applying to more jobs. As for loans, since a student loan won't work, I will have to use a bank loan. I know money won't pop into my hands, I just figured there would be some kind of other options I would have to make up for that problem. Do you guys know any scholarships out there for international students?

embassy 2009/3/21 23:29
By the way, do you think the Japanese Embassy would be of any help?

.. 2009/3/21 23:36
http://www.jasso.go.jp/study_j/scholarships_e.html

Remember scholarships are always long shots, you can apply to them but only very few ever get selected.

It's something, but I wouldn't rest all my hopes on it. So working hard with jobs should still be a priority.

reply to this thread