Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Waseda University 2009/3/23 00:02
I know Waseda is a very good school, but did anyone here go there? Silly question, but in Japan can you major/minor like in the US? Does anyone know information on the Theatre/Film Arts major? And, if possible, the Creative Writing minor?

Thanks much!
Kira
by Kira (guest)  

? 2009/3/24 00:02
If you are smart enough to aim for Waseda, certainly you already Googled and found their official website, right? So what do you mean by Theatre/Film Arts major?
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes 2009/3/24 10:07
Yes, I found their website. At the bottom, it says ''Majors'' and it lists Theater/Film Arts, so I'm assuming that they have it.

http://www.waseda.jp/eng/academics2/sciences1.html

I'm smart, not genius or anything like that, but smart. I don't have a bad GPA or anything, since I didn't enter high school yet.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Do excuse me 2009/3/24 12:06
Kira, you are correct. Please excuse my mistake.

To answer your original question, yes, a lot of universities including Waseda does allow students to major/minor. It's a relatively new system in Japan, and on Waseda's press release as of Dec 15, 2006, they mention that they've widely accepted this system starting April 2007. I'm sorry I couldn't find an English version of the press release.
http://www.waseda.jp/jp/pr06/061215_p.html

They call it "Theme Study," and for example, on this press release they say that, for 2007, any student in Waseda Univ. can minor on either of the 13 courses. Among these courses, (1) film, (2) Korea research, (3) Mediteranian culture are taught by professors from Faculty of Letters, Arts and Sciences.

For more details and updates, why not contact the University?

Hope it helps.

It's fine 2009/3/24 12:23
It's okay, Uco.

The link I gave you the only page on the entire English website that I can find that mentions Theatre/Film Arts.

Thank you for the information! By the time I'll enter college, they would have been doing then major/minor for 7 years.

I graduate from high school in may of 2013, would I have to wait until April 2014 to start at Waseda? Or will I be able to begin in the call semester?

I would email them, if it was a few years closer to be thinking about colleges.

Thank you!!!

Starting month 2009/3/24 15:45
I graduate from high school in may of 2013, would I have to wait until April 2014 to start at Waseda? Or will I be able to begin in the call semester?

From a rough search on their website, I got the impression that at the moment, hence only the School of Commerce allow you to start the year in September, for the other Schools you need to wait until April to start.

But who knows? School and entrance exam systems change almost every year here in Japan.

thanks 2009/3/26 07:19
Thanks for the info, Uco!

Does it really change that much?

Waseda Althetics 2009/3/26 10:49
I was thinking it would be easier(?) and cheaper(?) if I could play on a varsity team for Waseda.

I'm very good at lacrosse, and even better at tennis. I've been playing tennis for 10 years, and lacrosse for 5 years. However, I don't know if Waseda offers any of these sports to play in Varsity. I believe I have a better change in lacrosse, since the sport is newer in Japan (I think), and less girls have played it since a young age.

So the first question is: do they have varsity women's tennis or lacrosse? And the second question is whether or not I could try out (I doubt I could get scouted...), and if I could get a scholarship along with that.

Thanks!

clubs 2009/3/26 12:02
I personally don't know if Wasesda now has teams you hope to join, but I'm not going to bother to check, because new ones are formed every year!

In fact, universities in Japan are all about club activities and circles. A lot of students aim certain unis just so that they can get heavily involved in a club or circle that certain uni is so famous for. They would even aim for the least competitive entrance exam major, so that they can spend less time studying and more time in clubs. And renowned clubs have produced people who are currently active in that industry.

For example, Waseda is famous for baseball, as well as a lot of journalism-related clubs such as film. Their film-making circle was founded in 1918. This is their official website.
http://www.w-eiken.com/

Like most uni circles, this circle also welcomes as members those who are not Waseda students.

A quick look at their bbs gives me the impression that it is quite easy for anyone to get involved. I'm not sure if it's "cheap." Why not send a message to their bbs?

Waseda SILS 2009/3/26 21:04
you can't get sports scholarships.

you should check out waseda's school of international liberal studies. just google ''
waseda Sils''
by X (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/3/27 06:47
Thanks but no thanks.

I'm not interested in SILS. I'm interested in the Theatre/Film Arts and Creative Writing.

So even Japanese students don't get scholarships for playing Varsity for universities?

another question 2009/3/27 10:49
I think there MAY be a chance of me being able to graduate early (in February).

How early do you think the applications have to be sent it? In America, you send them in November, and get results in January-March.

How is the EJU? And what is the government scholarship program for international students? Can you give me a link for that? At Waseda, are there scholarships for minorities/international/female/etc.?

Thank you so much!
You've been so helpful!

found some links 2009/3/28 06:57
I found a page with scholarship information, so I don't need that information.
I also found the government scholarship information thing.

Thanks!

Sports 2009/3/28 18:05
Circles will not get you money for schools, but Clubs(Varsity sports) will. The alumini will help you if your good enough, but sports are not as popular as the US some money is more tight. What you have to do is pay a year by yourself and prove your a player.
by XXX (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks! 2009/3/28 22:43
Thanks for your answer!

I want to graduate early (3 months, to be precise), but that means I would have less than 12 years of education from Elementary/Primary school. That's important, but... Isn't 11.67 years close enough? I should email them and ask.

also 2009/3/28 22:45
I would have much more credits than needed to graduate too.
You need 21.33 (we have trimesters) to graduate, and 25 is recommended for competitive colleges, and I plan to have 28 credits by the time I graduate, even though it's 3 months earlier (1 trimester early).

tennis 2009/7/1 20:10
anyone knows if kyushu university is good for tennis? I wanna try for their team when i go for student exchange...
by sookzhen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread