Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Language Schools 2009/3/25 05:35
Hi my name is Matt and I'm 22 years old. I just graduated from college and I'm currently working at a software company. I make decent pay so I'm saving up to study abroad next year.

Anywho, I've been looking into various language schools as an option to study. I've come up with 2 options Yamasa in Nagoya and Kai in Tokyo. I only know of these because of people's personal experiences.

Since there are countless language schools it's hard to pick one that is good and decent priced. I'm wondering if anyone has had experiences they could share/advice, and information about good schools and prices. Thanks.
by Arbel (guest)  

Yamasa etc 2009/3/25 15:29
I'm reposting this, as it seems relevant here...

If you plan to study Japanese in Japan, don't expect to be doing much communication.

Do expect to be whisked relentlessly and superficially through Japanese grammar, one 'atarashii pattarn' after another.

I have excrutiatingly painful experiences of Japanese language 'learning' at the key institutes in my locality: YWCA, Trident, Yamasa. The way of teaching is pretty much exactly and eerily the same - a Japanese take on the very old fashioned PPP (Presentation, Practice, Production) teaching approach, only with way too much presentation, little real practice, and paltry communication).

Expect your teacher to teach to the book (which is doggardly the syllabus), and to the syllabus timetable regardless of whether most students get it or not.

Don't expect to have much pair or group interaction opportunities. I once had a teacher effectively put our group of 16 students on hold while she meticulously checked each student's homework. 20 minutes!

From what I gather regarding Yamasa, I'm probably in the minority here with a negative view, so read up on that. And on the positive side I will say that although the teacher training seemed to me to create clone-like teachers and teaching at all 3 places mentioned, Yamasa teachers were without a doubt the most dedicated and enthusiastic - just NOT the most au fait with communicative language teaching approaches.

So, if you plan to study in Japan, I hope you like grammar...
by Nula (guest) rate this post as useful

Schools 2009/3/25 21:23
Thanks for the response. I am actually not too concerned about quality of the classes, but I'm glad to hear things from both sides (both positive and negative)
I'm basically paying for the Visa, as my real practice will be out of the classroom hanging out with Japanese students and friends I know online. I'm not too concerned if the classes are waste, as long as the school isn't too expensive and has nice teachers and accomodations. I've only heard about Yamasa and Kai, any others people have experiences with and might be cheaper?
by Arbel (guest) rate this post as useful

OK 2009/3/25 22:47
In that case..

You could try (in Nagoya)

YWCA Japanese classes, near Sakae, and Trident in Chikusa/Imaike.

These are about the main two in Nagoya.

by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

languages 2009/3/25 23:23
I think the best way to learn any language is to learn formally(so like the classes you want to enrol in) as well as lots of verbal practice with the people as well. Oh, and try not to use any english, use it only if you really really really have to. Rote learning isnt very effective either.
by flintz (guest) rate this post as useful

Kai? 2009/3/27 20:52
Out of curiosity, what did you hear about Kai? I'm considering doing a summer intensive there, possibly the business course.
by mochim rate this post as useful

Kai 2009/3/28 13:38
My friend went to Yamasa and he heard through some of the students and teachers that
Kai was a good school and very similar to Yamasa. And I've also heard some positive response another internet message board. So I'd say it is probably good. Great location too.
by Arbel (guest) rate this post as useful

Language School 2009/3/30 05:43
Hello!
I think I have similar questions because I want to do a summer intensive course in japan too. I will go to Tokyo or to Sapporo. When I will do it Tokyo I think I will choose KAI (because of the price). If you will get some more Informations about,then there are at theyre website or if you (or anyone else here) know something about japanese language schools in Sapporo or Tokyo it would be great If you would let me now ^^
by UtaTr rate this post as useful

reply to this thread